I did something stupid. Help with AC freeze.

Old 06-18-09, 02:24 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I did something stupid. Help with AC freeze.

So I can't even remember when I last turned my AC on. The house had been bearable for the past few days, but I left it running anyway. Today, I did a bunch of stuff outside and wanted to come cool off inside. I looked at the thermostat and saw that it was at 77. I check my setting to see that I had it to cool to 70. So I went outside and lo and behold, the pipe coming from the main fan to the house is completely iced over. I just turned it off, so I'm waiting for it to thaw.

First question: Will I most likely need to call someone to come out and take a look at it?

Second question: Is it safe to try to turn it back on once it is thawed?

Third question: Why did this happen?! And what can I do to prevent it!

Thank you.

Old 06-18-09, 05:17 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Only two things can make this happen. Low air flow which is from a dirty coil or filter or fan is not working, could also be insulation has fallen. 2nd would be low on refrigerant.

Old 06-18-09, 05:22 PM
P
Thanks for the reply. Low airflow to the fan outside? I'll take a look and see about cleaning the fins. Whats the best way to get those clean? There is a metal cage around the whole thing, I would assume to prevent damage. I just changed the filter so we're good there. It didn't look to dirty, but I don't know what a 'really' dirty filter would look like. How would I check the refrigerant?

Old 06-18-09, 05:31 PM
S
it the fan inside he is talking about...a dirty filter or dirty coil will cauase the ice up which always starts out at the condensing unit (outside section) on that insulated line.if the last time you ran it you had no ice but on this run you got ice it is probably short on freon.check your filter in the return duct at the furnace or in the return grill in the hallway grill work panel somewhere around the stat.if it is packed with dirt change it then pop the access panel off the fan section of the furnace and run your finger on the rounds of the squirrel cage see if they have dirt on them.if all is clean its the charge that needs to be looked at.if packed with dust dirt then your coil needs cleaning...and YES it is ok to run the unit until you start to do the icing up from the condenser 10-15 minutes tops.it is icing up from short charge or dirty items mentioned not allowing air to move ...basically it becomes a refrigerator...need a service tech to check the charge and leak check.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: