Cooling a studio appartment in Florida

Old 06-19-09, 06:08 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cooling a studio appartment in Florida

Hello you all,

I recently moved into an old apartment building in Florida. It's a concrete block building with stores on the bottom and studio apartments on the second floor. Unfortunately it's a flat roof building and we're having record high temperatures here (heat indexes of over 105). My landlord didn't want to replace the rusty 20 year old wall unit so I bought a new LG 12000 btu unit. My brother in law assured me that a window unit would work fine even though technically it's designed for a window. so we mounted this new unit inside the chassis of the old wall unit. It has a a few inches on the sides to breath, about an inch on top, and the back I just popped the old vent cover off. But this AC isn't doing the job. This apartment is only a 350 sq ft studio and is still gets 80 degrees in here with it running non stop throughout the day. And when I put my hand up to it, it doesn't feel freezing you know? I've had a little 5000 btu unit in a bedroom that felt colder than this one. What I'm thinking is that this unit is choking inside that box. When I put my hand inside the chassis I feel alot of heat, and the top gets pretty hot too. I could cut some of the old chassis away but the vents of my new ac are still inside the wall. Do you think that's why this ac is not blowing real cold? Maybe the heat is not dissipating properly? I could take it out and mount it in the window above, but it's a side-sliding window so that will require some rigging. I'm also thinking of trying a portable unit, a 12,000 btu one. I could take this one back. But if you all think this one is getting all the air it needs, I could leave it on and run them both during the peak hot hours. This apartment is so neat too, I'm above a hair salon and I have my big front window tinted super dark. It could be a real man-cave if I could get it cold.

Old 06-20-09, 05:36 AM
S
you have to do a comparison of the new sleeve not used and the exsisting one you slid the new AC into!99% of window unit blow the heat out the coil to the outside but that extra spacing might be not sealed like it would of been in the original sleeve.with the unit slid out and on the floor when you stand over it you can see the WALL that seperates the outside to the inside with the single motor and the 2 fan blades(squirrel cage on the cooling).the cooling discharges up and out the top into the space and if it is mixing with hot condenser air within the old frame your killing the cooling.the cooling should do and easy 55F (18F drop) and the condenser discharge air can be up into the 150F range mixing within that old cabinet.might try raising the base of the new unit as you slid the AC in the bottom is solid as you see then stuff the opening on the bottom with old towels fro now and test it...make sure you have a little tilt to the outside so you drain the condensate outside.

Old 06-20-09, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
With a side intake window unit there is little tolerance for a custom installation.
These units are designed to remove a specified BTUH at the lowest possible purchase price when installed as to how they were designed.

There are a/c units made for sliding windows and although they typically don't sell for bargain basement prices they would likely be your best option.

Old 06-20-09, 07:39 AM
D
cool a studio appt in florida

just an opinion from someone not schooled in a/c. i would think that in florida you would want to control the humidity. it would feel much cooler. don't know if your studio apt is set up for that capability or not. with window air &/or a dehumidifier you may have to get used to some noise. many years ago, when i was single, i lived in a studio apt & really loved it. it can be your "man cave" when you get it set up right. good luck, dan g.

Old 06-20-09, 10:09 AM
You violated the manufacturers installation specs by putting a window unit inside a sleeve. You may have also have damaged the unit. Forget your warranty at this point! LG is not very sympathetic@!

Old 06-20-09, 08:08 PM
F
For whatever it matters, I put a thermometer up to the ac vent and got a reading of about 53 degrees. I tested it again just now, it's nighttime and real hot and muggy. I got about the same, 52 or 53. You think I should just leave it? I hate to have to tear off the molding my brother in law did. On my way home from work tonight I went to home depot and got an Everstar 11,000 btu unit. I tested it out a little tonight. It blows cold, I think when I seal the window vent tube up real good it will be even better. With both of them running it sounds like a server room. Luckily the window unit suffices at night when I need to sleep!

Old 06-21-09, 03:56 AM
i would think that in florida you would want to control the humidity. it would feel much cooler.
that's the key

we just turned our ac on the other day for the first time this year temp was 88 humidity 90%
I watched the thermometer /hygrometer and the temp stayed at 88 but as the humidity got down to 65-55-45 it became pleasant

we set the thermostat at 83

(BTW this is no "record high temp " going on . Welcome to fl , its summer its hot and humid the only change is the weather goobers talking about "feels like " temps )

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: