A/C unit in attic-always hot

Old 06-22-09, 10:34 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C unit in attic-always hot

Does anyone know if having the a/c unit in the attic will cause the unit to run constantly? My bonus room upstairs has a seperate a/c unit which is located in the attic. NO matter what temp. I set the thermostat on in the room, it always shows a high temp and runs continuously except for late at night when the attic finally cools down. Is it possible to wrap insulation around the unit or should I have a small area constructed around the unit to keep out summer heat? My utility bill because of this one unit is astronomical! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-22-09, 11:16 AM
Are the ductwork wrapped in insulation?

Is the attic itself vented?

How much insulation do you have between the attic and the bedroom?

As the unit been checked for charge?

How's the big line outside going into the unit?

Old 06-22-09, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Never heard of an entire A/C unit being installed in the attic. It doesn't have lines that run to an outside compressor unit to remove the heat?

Are you sure its not just the air handler and evaporator coil thats in the attic? Thats a pretty common install.

Old 06-22-09, 02:44 PM
W
where is the thermostat mounted? is it on an interior wall or on an attic wall? Is the thermostat showing the correct temp for the room it is in? is the room insulated? Is the system blowing cool air. My ductwork and air handler is in the attic, and my system does not run constantly, if it can not condition the space and cycle off either it is too small, not working properly, improperly installed, or the space is not insulated/closed off properly.

Old 06-22-09, 06:53 PM
T
The thermostat is in the room itself, not the attic, but it always registers a higher temp than the room really is. The actual unit is outside and the system in the attic is the actual air handler. The coils are insulated and my attic has ridge vents as well as turbines. I had an a/c repairman out to the house to make sure it had enuf freeon (sp) and that the unit was the correct size for the room. He told me it was actually more than adequate. So, I was wondering if the air handler in the attic that shoots the cool air thru the vents should/could be wrapped in insulation or maybe I should have it enclosed in an insulated closet?

The room is very well insulated, both on all sides and on top of the room. I must mention that this room is surrounded by the attic. The entrance to the attic is thru a door at the end of the room. The attic is a walk-around attic.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks to all for your help.

Old 06-22-09, 07:50 PM
Could you take a few photo of your set up in the attic?

Old 06-23-09, 05:26 AM
T
yes, I'll get that done right after work today and forward it. Thanks!

Old 06-23-09, 07:07 PM
T
I took some pics, but the site won't let me attach them. Any suggestions?

Old 06-24-09, 11:45 AM
Photos needs to be put onto a photo host site like yahoo, imageshack.us or the like then post the link on the pop up when you post photo onto the board here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: