AC keeps going off and I have to push reset button

Old 06-22-09, 09:17 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC keeps going off and I have to push the power cord reset button

What could be causing this to happen? It does it randomly. It might run 30 minutes then go off, last night I would wake up in a sweat and it would be off and I reset it 6 times, then today it has ran all day long without one reset. Any ideas? It is a Whirlpool ac/heater combo.

Last edited by FluffynTex; 06-22-09 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-23-09, 04:03 AM
D
Is this a window unit with one of those GFI's built into the cordset? If it's new or still in warranty, take it back.

Old 06-23-09, 08:33 AM
F
Originally Posted by daddyjohn
Is this a window unit with one of those GFI's built into the cordset? If it's new or still in warranty, take it back.
Yes it is but it is not still in warrenty My mother has one too bought at the same time and it does it too.

Old 06-23-09, 05:39 PM
D
Do you mean your Mom's unit also has the tripping problem? Those devices represent your gov't helping you out he he. The GFI works the same as the GFI receptacles in your bathroom or kitchen. They monitor current flow on the hot and neutral wires and if there is the minutest discrepancy, they trip. I know I've had problems before with fridges on GFI's and I will not put them on one. My best guess is that the compressor starting current will sometimes overwhelm the current flow balance of a GFI, but that's a guess. I know what I would do if it were my unit but I can't suggest that here.

Old 06-23-09, 08:02 PM
F
Originally Posted by daddyjohn
Do you mean your Mom's unit also has the tripping problem? Those devices represent your gov't helping you out he he. The GFI works the same as the GFI receptacles in your bathroom or kitchen. They monitor current flow on the hot and neutral wires and if there is the minutest discrepancy, they trip. I know I've had problems before with fridges on GFI's and I will not put them on one. My best guess is that the compressor starting current will sometimes overwhelm the current flow balance of a GFI, but that's a guess. I know what I would do if it were my unit but I can't suggest that here.

yes hers does same thing.
Sounds like I need to replace the power cord with one that doesnt have a reset button.

Thanks Daddyjohn

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: