Window AC drains to inside

Old 06-26-09, 02:30 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Window AC drains to inside

I have a window air conditioner that is installed on the level between two fixed panes of glass.... therefore there's no tilt and condensation drains to the inside as well as to the outside. Short of tearing out the window frame and rebuilding with enough room to tilt the AC unit, are there any solutions to this problem? I've considered drilling a couple of holes in the bottom of the AC cabinet; will this facilitate outside drainage? Any other ideas? Thanks/tryagainEd

Old 06-26-09, 04:00 PM
S
You'd have to pull the unit out to drill any holes. If youre gonna pull it out, maybe you could just shim it slightly so it will tilt out slightly.

Old 06-26-09, 04:43 PM
T
no room

There's not enough room to tilt the AC unit. It is supported by a heavy duty wire shelf that was built into the window frame on the level; and the fixed pane window to the top is a very tight fit -- no play up or down. The AC slides into the space with no room to spare, and the supporting shelf has no give whatsoever. Why can't I drill holes in the bottom of the cabinet with the unit in place?

Old 06-26-09, 04:50 PM
T
How long has the unit been installed like that? Did it always leak? It might be a plugged drain from the evaporator coil to the outside of the case, which means pulling the unit out and giving it a good washout. I agree with not drilling holes to fix it until you are sure there aren't refrigerant lines that you may hit. Would be an expensive lesson.

Old 06-26-09, 05:09 PM
S
if it is level it should drain did you notice where the water dripped out from previous summers..there is a pencil diameter hole on the wall that seperates the outside from the inside of the unit...could be blocked with dirt or a thirsty bug.remove it and unscrew the casing cover look for rust track thats the condensate route.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: