Problems with Kemore AC unit

Old 06-28-09, 10:45 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Problems with Kemore AC unit

Unit is 15 years old. As of a few months ago, was cooling great...had it on low setting, house was freezing (the way I like it) but a week or so ago had a bad storm come through and knock off the power for a few days. Once power came back...A/C began to cut on for about 3 minutes, and turn off for 3 (continuously). A little while ago I decided to investigate further and take off the front frame of the unit. Looked inside of the vent and noticed a black piece of fabric from the inside roof of the AC was blocking the entire left hand side of the vent (it had come unglued and was just sitting there) I removed it and now my AC only cuts on for 30 seconds every few minutes.

It's a Kenmore model 106.9752570 AC, couldn't find any info on it anywhere (since it's old I suppose) any ideas?

Old 06-29-09, 12:43 AM
S
help

my central air will not shut off i changed the thermestate was not that the brakers was shut of and it still would not shut down the only way i can shut it is by going into the thing it self out side running i dont understand and it is getting a lil chilly can u help me plzzz thank you could it be the capacitor if what do i do it is very hot hear days r in high numbers afraid it will freezemodel is eb15b colam 4 yr old

Last edited by sara1; 06-29-09 at 12:53 AM. Reason: so lost need help badly have handicap children
Old 06-29-09, 06:16 AM
D
sara- it sounds like the oudoor unit is running all the time and the only way to get it to shut off is to shut off the switch at the outdoor unit? Is that correct? If yes, most likely the compressor contactor in the outdoor unit has welded closed.

mattius- exactly what is cycling every 30 seconds? The fan in the furnace? The outdoor unit? Everything? If everything is cycling- you may have a bad thermostat. If the fan in the furnace is cycling, you may have a bad motor run capacitor on the fan motor.

oops- this is a window shaker. Maybe in the mornings I should have the coffee first-he he. It sounds like the compressor is cycling? Do you hear a click noise coming from the compressor?

you can see parts here:

Parts & Accessories | Shop & Find Lawn & Garden, Appliance Parts at Sears PartsDirect | SearsPartsDirect.com

Last edited by daddyjohn; 06-29-09 at 06:57 AM. Reason: update
Old 06-29-09, 07:11 AM
M
Originally Posted by daddyjohn
mattius- exactly what is cycling every 30 seconds? The fan in the furnace? The outdoor unit? Everything? If everything is cycling- you may have a bad thermostat. If the fan in the furnace is cycling, you may have a bad motor run capacitor on the fan motor.

oops- this is a window shaker. Maybe in the mornings I should have the coffee first-he he. It sounds like the compressor is cycling? Do you hear a click noise coming from the compressor?
Hey john, thanks for replyin.

Well weird thing is this morning the front cover popped off (guess I didn't put it on well enough last night) so I banged it into place and now the A/C is running constantly.

And last night I went outside to the back of the unit to see what was up and yeah, I kept hearing a "hum hum" a few seconds apart from the inside then it sounded like it rights itself and kicks into motion for a few minutes.

I dunno WHAT'S goin on lol

Old 06-29-09, 08:53 AM
D
Most likely the thermosstat is on it's last legs, the jolt you gave it probably knocked the thermostat contacts around. Will the unit cycle off if you turn the thermostat to a warmer setting?

Old 06-29-09, 09:57 AM
M
Originally Posted by daddyjohn
Most likely the thermosstat is on it's last legs, the jolt you gave it probably knocked the thermostat contacts around. Will the unit cycle off if you turn the thermostat to a warmer setting?
It'll go into "fan mode" and blow cool-ish air until the compressor...? Kicks in and cycles cold air.

The thermostat is kinda mounted up on the front coils on this ac (not sure what it's like on other ones)

Truthfully I'm afraid to touch it in fear that it'll revert back to turning off every 30 seconds...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: