Window Unit/ Humidity?

Old 06-29-09, 07:38 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Window Unit/ Humidity?

I am renting a small ground level finished garage apartment which is connected to a main house. The apartment is probably around 700 sq. feet I am guessing and consists of a bedroom, a bathroom, and a small tv room. The bedroom has a ge window unit air conditioner which has been installed in the wall of the bedroom area.

The window unit seems to work fine and produce enough cold air to keep the rooms fairly cool. However, I have realized after being here for a few weeks that there is an unusually large amount of humidity in the rooms especially the bedroom.

After doing a little research, I figured that the garage/apartment area probably is not as well insulated as the rest of the house which is why the humidity level is so high. Today I purchased a frigidaire dehumidifier and I am going to test my luck with how it helps with the relative humitdity.

My question is- Are the window unit and the humidity in any way related? I have never lived in a space with a window unit before so it is a whole new world for me. I know that at least some of the humidity is coming from the lack of insulation... but I wanted to make sure that the window unit itself isn't somehow contributing to the humidity in the room?

Old 06-29-09, 08:04 PM
If running properly, the window unit should be removing humidity. But due to the limitations of a window unit,
it probably won't be satisfactory.

Old 06-30-09, 06:30 AM
If the A/C is oversized (too big) it will not run long enough to remove the humidity.

You want to try to keep the humidity around 45% to prevent any mold growths.

Old 06-30-09, 08:05 AM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Depend on where you are located, humidity level are all different. But the A/C should help to remove the humidity, if you look outside the A/C unit while it is running, you shoud see water (should be a lot of in your case) dripping. Well, if it is the insulation, probably not much you can do, but try that dehumidifier, hope it will work..

Last edited by clocert; 06-30-09 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-30-09, 09:35 AM
M
Thanks for the replys. I ran the de-humidifier last night and had a full bucket this morning. I am wondering is the dehumidifier just stabalizing the rooms at this point and eventually it will level out and just keep at a stable level of around 45%... or will the ac unit continue to create more humididty for the dehumidifier to pull out (two machines working against each other). I guess only time will tell.

Old 06-30-09, 09:40 AM
A/C does not add humidity into the air, it removes what it can when it's running.

Added humidity comes from cooking, leaking windows/doors, showers, and our body.

Old 06-30-09, 10:57 AM
C
MAke sure your A/C unit dripping water outside, the more the better. if you don't see water dripping while the system is running, then there is a problem..

Old 06-30-09, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by clocert
MAke sure your A/C unit dripping water outside, the more the better. if you don't see water dripping while the system is running, then there is a problem..

I wouldn't go by that.. Lot of window unit now day don't drop out as much as the older ones... Most newer window A/C slings the water onto the coil and it eveperate into the air flow.

The only time I've seen water is when it's super humid outside where the pan fills up faster than the fan can sling at the coil.

Old 06-30-09, 05:54 PM
C
Originally Posted by Jay11J
I wouldn't go by that.. Lot of window unit now day don't drop out as much as the older ones... Most newer window A/C slings the water onto the coil and it eveperate into the air flow.

The only time I've seen water is when it's super humid outside where the pan fills up faster than the fan can sling at the coil.
I did not know the new A/C unit do that. Mine is about 6 years old, it drips a lot of water. and there is no pan in the bottom, just a drain hole which you can connect a small pipe if want to. Anyway, I do have a question, if the water get back on the coil, isn't the air flow going to bring that water(humidity) back into the room ?

Old 06-30-09, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by clocert
I did not know the new A/C unit do that. Mine is about 6 years old, it drips a lot of water. and there is no pan in the bottom, just a drain hole which you can connect a small pipe if want to.
Really? My Sears A/C I had 13 years ago didn't drip water outside. Same with my Maytag we had in our last apt, before we got the house didn't drip outside either.

What brand is your unit?

Anyway, I do have a question, if the water get back on the coil, isn't the air flow going to bring that water(humidity) back into the room ?
No, the water drips off the coil inside, and travels to the outdoor side of the unit, and then the water goes into the fan that is cooling down the condenser coil.

Old 06-30-09, 09:51 PM
C
Originally Posted by Jay11J
Really? My Sears A/C I had 13 years ago didn't drip water outside. Same with my Maytag we had in our last apt, before we got the house didn't drip outside either.

What brand is your unit?

Don't remember, I gave it to my daughter 3 years ago. Bought from Wal-mart, 5000 btu, not a brand name (it was a foreign made unit) , pretty cheap.

No, the water drips off the coil inside, and travels to the outdoor side of the unit, and then the water goes into the fan that is cooling down the condenser coil.
I have never seen a unit like that, but I think I know how it is built now. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: