AC not cooling

Old 06-29-09, 08:03 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC not cooling

Hello,

Looking for some advice here.

Our Central AC is five years old and we have had the coil replaced and the unit charged 3 or 4 times already.

A couple days ago is stopped cooling well again. It was 90 outside and the house wouldn't go below 78, so I called the technician again. He recharged it, the first time since the coil was replaced about 2 years ago. He also said the compressor had overloaded, but seemed to have reset. When I got home from work it was blowing cold air, but now, 5 hours later, the air is not cold, so I turn the AC off. Thank goodness it is only supposed to be in the 70s the next couple days.

He is recommending replacing the outside unit and hooking it up to the existing pipe and coil (which is from a R22 10 SEER unit) for $2300.

I could also replace the whole thing for $3700 with a 16 SEER R410A unit with new pipe and coil.

I'm going to call another AC place tomorrow, but I'm just wondering. It seems like 5 years is too soon to throw in the towel on something that expensive.

The original installer and our house builder are both out of business and the warranty is up on the unit.

What would you recommend?

Thanks,
Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-09, 08:12 PM
I would recommend getting a second opinion. Obviously you have a freon leak, if your service man can't find I would find someone who can.

Old 06-29-09, 08:15 PM
D
My recommnedation is to find the leak and fix it. If it only took 5 hours to leak down to where the cooling is poor again, that's a big leak. $2300 for a condensing unit? and the moron, er... technician, doesn't even know where the leak is? How will he achieve a proper vacuum if there's a leak? I think my retirement days might be over; I'll do it for $2200. Deal?

Old 06-30-09, 04:11 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Is he recommending replacing the cond unit because thats where he found a leak or is he guessing?

As "DJ" stated, it should be a fairly easy leak to find. Is the line set ran in an enclosed wall or ceiling?

I would find another service company.

Old 06-30-09, 06:36 AM
W
He said most leaks were in the coil, so that was replaced a couple years ago. This time, since the coil was replaced already, he said it isn't likely to be there, but he didn't do any checks for leaks, just charged the AC.

This morning I turned the unit back on and it was blowing some cold air, similar to yesterday afternoon.

Anyway, I called a different company and they will be out today or tomorrow to look at it. Very frustrating.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Bill

Old 06-30-09, 11:17 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Don't get frustrated, sounds like a small leak problem. Get a good A/C tech. it should be fixed in no time.

Old 06-30-09, 06:31 PM
W
The second tech came today and found another leak in the coil that sits in the furnace. I think we'll have to live with that and hopefully not have to charge again for a while.

He also found the unit had been overcharged, so he remove some coolant, and that the grill around the outside of the unit was very dirty because it is next to the dryer vent. Now, I know to keep that clean and for now the AC is working again.

Eventually I'll have to spend some money, but at least for today it was only $100.

Thanks again for the advice.

Bill

Old 06-30-09, 07:46 PM
K
I have to ask. Is it A leak or leak's in the evap?Is it rubbing inside on a tube or are there leaks all over? it is very strange to go through two evap's as you have. Is it a Trane unit?They had some evap coil problems a number of years ago. The other guy may have overcharged it thinking it will leak out.The leak really should be fixed. Just think of the impact your having on globle warming or is it cooling now?