Basement AC or Pump Leak please help!

Old 07-01-09, 02:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement AC or Pump Leak please help!

I have a leak on the basement floor coming from the AC --Janitrol, or condensate pump..Little Giant Model #VCM-20ULST-Cat.#554308. Everything seems to be working O.K., AC, hot water heater, etc. I can see water coming out of the unit (pump) through the slots on the side of the unit (photo3). I know this is an old pump and just started leaking while running constantly and may need to be replaced?
I'm not sure if this has any relation to the problem but I recently put new filters in the unit-in the bottom. It's always hard to put the doors back on-usually I have a problem with the lower door and if I dont get it on correctly there is a switch or button behind it that turns the unit off & on. I have reinstalled a few times and though not perfectly lined up the unit seems to go on OK--have included photos with the doors off also.(Photo4)
In the meantime I have unplugged & wondering if I can just use a jug or divert the water as realize it has to go somewhere and is still connected to the unit & leaking. I want to be careful & not get electrocuted and not sure if the unit still has power despite unplugging it and there's water on the floor. I cant find a location in the fuse box for it and not sure what that other switch is-in the on position on adjacent pole in photo--which looks like it's behind a gas line? I'm wondering if I need to turn all the breakers off to access the pump or not?
Can I just unscrew the clear tube to the pump remove it or what is the best way to handle right now..
Any advice appreciated--money is very tight now and hope it something that I can possibly fix myself..thanks so much!

Old 07-01-09, 03:08 PM
D
Just unplug the pump. Take it apart and see if the float is full of water, sticking, or if the whole thing is shot. If the pump is running, unplug it, take the discharge hose off, plug it back in and see if it's pumping. If it is pumping, you may have have an obstruction in the dischage hose. You may not find that exact model but they are all similar.

Old 07-01-09, 05:05 PM
S
float could be weighted down with slim...good cleaning will solve the problem

Old 07-01-09, 10:39 PM
re: AC pump leak

Thanks so much for your responses. I just want to make sure I'm doing this properly, so sorry if redundant.

Unplugging the pump means the power cord from the outlet in photo below?

Also which is the discharge hose--the clear/beige flexible hose on the left (that arrow is pointing to) or the white conduit. And does this hose unscrew or pull off?

Also there is a spliced wire in the photo that goes from inside the pump-- crosses over the top into the AC unit I believe--do I need to do anything with that wire?

For safety's sake I want to to make sure since there is water around the pump if I should turn off all breakers or maybe AC breaker or any other breaker?

And finally does anyone know what the switch is in the bottom photo from my original post-it's to the right of the power outlet for the pump, and in the on position--and does it need to be turned off?
Thanks again for your help & patience!

Old 07-02-09, 04:19 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
[QUOTE]Unplugging the pump means the power cord from the outlet in photo below?
Yes

Also which is the discharge hose--the clear/beige flexible hose
Yes

And does this hose unscrew or pull off?
Pulls off

do I need to do anything with that wire?
Its a safety switch built into the pump, unsplice and re-splice when done
should turn off all breakers
Kill power to furnace and a/c

does anyone know what the switch is in the bottom photo
It may be the emergency switch for the furnace, I can't see where it leads to. Just trace the wire coming out and see where it goes.

Old 08-01-09, 07:06 PM
Thanks for your help!

I just want to thank you all for your responses and your patience with me! I guess I could be called a cluelessyourselfer so I appreciate being walked through all the details!
The good news is I did get the pump cleaned--yuk! Then put back together and AC is running perfectlly in this summer heat-no leaks and thanks again to this great community who not only saved me lots of money--which is very tight right now, but more importantly--though hard to explain--for someone like me to be able to start & finish smething like this is quite an accomplishment--thanks for making it happen

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: