Do it myself - The whole shebang!

Old 07-03-09, 06:34 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Do it myself - The whole shebang!

My furnace has failed for the last time, i Will not repair it again. I would like to replace it and install A/C at the same time.
There are complete do it yourself kits on the market for very good prices.
I have had three estimates to install a system and they all agree that a furnace with 75K heat and 2 tons cool will do the job just fine. They all want about six thousand dollars!!! For a one thousand square foot house, R-19 floors, R-13 walls, R-6 glass, R-40 attic. The ductwork is in place and clean, the chimney is spotless, the gas line is convenient, and there is an outlet on a switch and a separate circuit. The kit is $2,200.
Any reason I can't do this?
I can solder, silver solder, braze. I have installed plastic, copper and steel pipes. I have run many a 240 wire and completely rewired three houses.
I have replaced the ignitor, exhaust fan, pressure switch, flashback switch, overheat switch and main control board in furnaces.
There are concrete pads for the indoor and outdoor uniits in place. I can drill masonry easily.
I have a two-hundred fifty pound helper who can bench press four hundred pounds.
Am I missing anything?
Has anyone on this forum ever installed a "kit"?
This is the only unit I have looked at so far: Wholesale AC, America's HVAC Superstore
It is just a reference unit, I plan to look at others.

Old 07-03-09, 07:15 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You will have to buy a vacuum pump, Torch, brazing rods, gauges, refrigerant, thermometers, and if that is not enough that little thing about an EPA license to handle refrigerant. You cold buy it but somebody will have to charge it for you. I have never heard of airmaster. I would recommend a name brand and at least a 16 seer.

Old 07-03-09, 07:18 PM
nap
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
don't forget the nitrogen and regulator to fill the line set when brazing.

Old 07-03-09, 07:49 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I planned on letting a pro do the finish up such as charging. One fellow said he would do that for $200. That saves me half the installation cost if I do the grunt work. I should have put that in the original post.
Are there any pitfalls to look out for if I actually do this?
The whole system should fit in the same space as the old furnace, just a bit taller. There is plenty of room and good lighting in there.
I have three empty thirty amp circuits where I removed the electric stove, dryer and water heater.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: