A/C Humming but Not Starting - HELP!

Old 07-08-09, 04:58 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C Humming but Not Starting - HELP!

Hello all. I'm burning up in Houston. Sorry if this question is trite, especially given the time of year, but here's my problem.

I have a Coleman Presidential II Condensor/Compressor outside. For over the past week it's been humming a bit before start, then it will start up. However, if it would go for more than, say, an hour without a breack, it would stop and make just a humming electrical sound. Now, it won't start up at all; just the humming sound. Are these classic symptoms of a fairly identifiable problem? All responses appreciated.

Old 07-08-09, 06:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 878 Upvotes on 741 Posts
The humming is the motor trying to start but it can't. Not an A/C expert but I'm guessing you need a new motor unless there is too much head pressure.

Old 07-08-09, 08:55 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is humming? the compressor or the fan motor? first thing to check is the capacitor, for a DYI replacing is the easiest route. If that's ok, you might need to install ahard start booster.

Capacitors

Compressor Hard Start Boosters

Be sure to also to check all the wiring connections for tightness/deterioration starting at the breaker panel all the way to the unit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: