fan motor overheating

Old 07-13-09, 05:05 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry fan motor overheating

Hi,

My fan motor outside is overheating. It is pulling 3.2 amps when it should only pull 2 amps.

Originally, my ac unit (which is a NORDYNE installed in 2001)was not cooling, to find out that the fan motor stops running. I then replaced the fan motor with an Emerson (model K55HXSTM-9563; HP 1/3 - 1/6; AMP 2.0; RPM 1075). I still have the same problem... the fan motor overheats, then it shuts off, and only the compressor is left on. I have been told that the ac unit is still good, no problems with it, only the fan motor.

What is making the fan motor pull 3.2 amps?!?!

Thanks,

Eric

Old 07-13-09, 06:10 PM
D
Did you install a new capacitor for the new motor? Are he new/old motors the same speed? Which hp did you select for the new motor? What is the hp of the old motor?

Old 07-13-09, 10:08 PM
F
Hi daddyjohn,

Yes, a new capacitor was installed. My friend replaced the old motor so I do not have the information of that part (he went on vacation yesterday and won't be back for a week!). I am guessing he replaced it with the same kind that I listed above...? Would that info be on the unit? Actually, he installed the new motor, which was pulling the 3.2 amps when it should only pull 2 amps. So, I thought it was a defective motor, I replaced it today with the Emerson (model K55HXSTM-9563; HP 1/3 - 1/6; AMP 2.0; RPM 1075) and it is still doing the same thing!

Thanks for your help!

Eric

Old 07-14-09, 02:14 AM
D
So 2 motors have been installed? Where is the original motor? Maybe I should have said was the correct capacitor installed?

Old 07-14-09, 06:05 PM
F
I believe so. As far as I know it is the correct one. My friend told me he replaced with the same kind. I can't get a hold of him right now since he is on vacation.

Old 07-14-09, 06:31 PM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
are you sure none of the motor mounts are loose.any of the blades bent.

Old 07-14-09, 08:17 PM
F
Everything it tight.

Funny thing is last night I had the ac set to 76 degrees & it stayed on all night! Did not shut off at all! The thermostat was set to auto and there wasn't any problem! But during the day...

Old 07-15-09, 05:02 AM
As "DJ" stated, you need to verify if the correct cap was installed, also if the correct H/P was used. Sounds like your friend(is he a tech) used a rescue motor, could be wired wrong.

Is the coil clean?

Is the blade mounted right?

I would go back to square one, start by verifying you have the correct motor.

Old 07-15-09, 05:30 AM
J
Overamping and overheating are usually caused by miswiring, wrong capacitor (already mentioned) or overloading. By any chance, was the old motor a 850 rpm unit? Substituting a 1075 motor may cause it to be overloaded.

Don't assume anything, verify and re-verify all information yourself. Your problem has a simple cause.

Old 09-04-09, 11:01 AM
P
Fan motor overheating - Solved?

Hi,

Did you solve the problem with the fan motor. I am experiencing the same problem. The original motor on a 4 ton unit seized (2001 installed) and the motor and capacitor were both replaced with "allegedly" the same type. The replacement motor immediately heated up and then shut down, the same with a second motor and capacitor that were bought (both were emerson). Hard to believe 2 motors would be bad, he is trying a different brand today but would welcome your feedback on the final outcome.

Thanks.

Old 09-04-09, 12:14 PM
Who is "he" ?

An hvac tech?

Would need to know all motor and cap specs from original and new motors

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: