I think my compressor died on my ductless air conditioner

Old 07-18-09, 02:29 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think my compressor died on my ductless air conditioner

Hi all. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction...

My Samsung 35kBTU ductless a/c (AS30C2BC/KCV) stopped working. The inside unit works fine, it's the outside unit.
I turn on the a/c and the inside unit appears to be working then after a minute or less the circuit breaker trips. I realized its the outside unit.
I took off the casing and turned on the a/c. After a minute I saw smoke coming from the electrical wires connected to the compressor (H29B35UABCA), heard a pop, and the breaker tripped. I noticed that one of the wires has burned off of the compressor. I turned the a/c back on and used a pair of pliers to hold the wire on to the terminal. The second I did that the breaker blew again.
I'm guessing that I can pretty much bet on it being the compressor, but I don't want to spend $500-1k and find out that that wasn't it. I also don't want to pay $1100+ to a repairman to fix it if I can do it myself. Nor am I going to spend $6k+ for a new a/c.
Thanks for any help!

Old 07-18-09, 06:35 PM
D
I agree, it's probably the compressor. Where you have to be careful is some of the ductless units use DC compressor motors and invertors. If you have a multimeter, use it it test the compressor. Remove the remaining wires on the compressor terminal pins[make a sketch of where they go] and scratch a clean spot on the larger copper tube at the compressor. Using the ohms function on the meter, test each compressor pin to the clean spot. Any reading means the compressor motor is grounded. It's not a job you can do. I'll be frank with you here; if you could get it repaired for $1100, consider it a gift. Parts prices on the foreign made stuff are way off the charts.

Old 07-20-09, 03:58 PM
A
It might be also a capacitor
So before changing the compressor check your capacitor if it's burned out or if it's ok then it most probably the compressor

Old 07-26-09, 04:56 AM
O
Thanks guys for the help.
I had a tech come out and it is the compressor. The guy said I'm better off buying a new unit.
I was wondering, is it possible to buy a used 36kbtu outside unit and attach it to my old inside unit? Does it have to be from the same company and same model?
Thanks!

Old 07-26-09, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
It needs to be the exact same unit as the control cct on most of those is a proprietary dc signal.

Just so you know I cringed when you said you held the wire to the compressor terminal!
The terminals are encased in a glass connector, many made by Fusite, that separates the oil and refrigerant that is under pressure from you.
Although rare, if that Fusite cracks from heat or damage and electricity is applied you will turn into a human torch. (I' not mad, just showing what you could look like.)

I am always prepared for this and have seen it happen twice and believe me if you were anywhere near it you would be burnt.
This is why there are or should be warnings in that area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: