Think I have a blower motor problem

Old 07-19-09, 11:38 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Think I have a blower motor problem

My ac just went out last night and with these over 100 degree days I need to fix this ASAP w/ little money. I am pretty mechanicaly inclined, but never worked on home ac before. Here's what's happening;
The compressor outside is still turning on and running. There is cold air floating around near the filter. There is no air going through any of the vents. The blower in the attach is not turning on at all. I have changed the filter, turned of the unit to make sure it was not frozen or anything. I tried turning it back on and still nothing. I was told that it is probably the blower motor. Please let me know if this sounds right. If so, can anyone tell me how to replace it? any web sights that would help? I appreciate your help.

Old 07-19-09, 01:04 PM
D
shut it off, touch the motor, is it hot or cold? Then turn the blower wheel by hand. Spins easily or hard to spin or frozen? If the motor is hot, try repalcing the capacitor first. You might get lucky with a cheap fix.

Old 07-19-09, 06:20 PM
S
try the heat one time see if the fan runs low speed that will prove the capacitor is OK,and then the fan in ON only from the stat to see if you get the hi speed if nothing then the hi speed winding is open.for now you might have a hi medium wire at the motor to change that hi speed wire till the motor can be changed......hi speed is for cooling as designed

Old 07-27-09, 10:39 AM
B
Piggybacking thread jacking...

I am having a very similar problem... At the beginning of the season, our A/C blew strong and cool. Now, the blower motor comes on at the same speed (low) in both HEAT and COOL with the voltage coming from the circuit card via the correct wires respectively. If the high speed winding is open, would the motor continue to run by passing the voltage through the low speed winding?

Bottom line, do I need to replace the damn thing??? LOL

Thanks all.

Old 07-27-09, 12:08 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How do you know its running on low speed, because you have less air flow or you checked it with a meter?

Old 07-27-09, 01:13 PM
B
There is blatantly less airflow than before. I've got 120V (to grnd) on the wire on the COOL contact. If I remember correctly from heating season, the airflow now, matches what we had then... so taking from Sminker above, I assumed it was running on low.

Old 07-28-09, 04:34 AM
So you have 120V at the high speed winding of the motor at the furnace or air handler correct?

If thats the case the motor is running on high, what do the air filters look like, is the evap coil clean, do you see ice on the refrigerant lines?

Old 07-28-09, 04:58 AM
B
Originally Posted by dun11
So you have 120V at the high speed winding of the motor at the furnace or air handler correct?

If thats the case the motor is running on high, what do the air filters look like, is the evap coil clean, do you see ice on the refrigerant lines?
-The filter is new.
-What is an evap coil and where is it?
-No ice anywhere in/on the unit.

I don't know if it matters much, but the unit is a combined furnace(gas) and A/C. I don't think there are any other blowers in the system. Is that likely? Or should there definitely be another one under the house in the crawlspace ('cause it ain't in the attic)?

Old 07-28-09, 05:19 AM
The system uses the blower motor in the furnace for both heat and cool. Did you just replace the filter, was it plugged?

The evap coil is in the plenum on top of the furnace where the refrigerant lines go in.

Your problem is either the motor or restricted air flow, if the filter was bad and the blower wheel is dirty it stands to reason that the evap is blocked, many times it will freeze do to that or low charge.

That is why you need to check the high speed winding with a meter, chk for an open winding to either condem or rule out the motor, also chk the motor cap.

Old 07-28-09, 05:56 AM
B
If the weather holds up, i'll check it out when I get home from work this afternoon.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: