Condenser Fan Motor reluctant & Compressor not running at all

Old 07-19-09, 08:12 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Condenser Fan Motor reluctant & Compressor not running at all

I was just at a friends house when we noticed that her a/c wasn't cool. Ambient air was coming out of the vents.

We went outside (she has a split unit) and the condenser fan was not running. The top of the motor was very hot. We're in Az but it was SUPER hot.
We turned the unit off, cleaned the outside unit --because the fins were filthy and someone had built a fence/cover around the outside unit (yeah, I know..I was shocked too!)
Once everything was dry, we turned the unit back on. You could hear that the condenser motor wanted to turn on. We used a rod and helped the blades a little and it started running.

All was good until we realized the air wasn't cooling and the lines from the outside were not what they were supposed to be. Both lines were just outside temp. No beer can cool or hot.
We took the jacket off the compressor and it was also very hot.
I glanced at the capacitor and didn't notice an obvious bulge but I wasn't really looking for anything (I didn't know to look for a bulge).

Could it be the capacitor? I thought it was unusual that the condenser fan motor and the compressor would go at the same time.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Old 07-19-09, 08:20 PM
D
Sure sounds like it could be. Try replacing it. Make a sketch of the wiring and get a new one with the sane specs.

Old 07-25-09, 05:00 PM
M
Thanks a bunch- They finally got out there today and the capacitor had a huge bulge in it.

I think they'll have to wait until Monday (like my parents rether post) to pick up the parts because they waited until late on a Saturday to diagnose.

What ever happened to "the early bird gets the worm" GET UP people!

Old 07-26-09, 04:04 AM
D
They fell asleep.

lllllllllllllllllllll

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: