Installing AC in a plexiglass window

Old 07-24-09, 07:41 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Installing AC in a plexiglass window

What should I use to cut a plexiglass window that is already installed in order to mount an AC unit. I've measured the square for placement and an exacto/utility knife does not appear to be strong enough.

Old 07-24-09, 03:15 PM
D
The plexiglass won't be stong enough to support weight of the a/c unit.

Old 07-25-09, 09:55 AM
L
Red face Installing AC in a plexiglass window

Thank you for your quick reply. My bad! I should've mentioned that the AC will actually be sitting on a metal ledge, not on the plexiglass itself. I will need to cut the plexiglass that will surround the AC unit. Also, once the plexiglass is removed and the AC is in the cutout, would it be OK to use some sort of sealer around the edges to keep the hot air out?

Old 07-25-09, 10:12 AM
S
The best way to cut plexiglass is to lay it flat,score it with a tool made for the purpose then snap off the piece.If you're trying to cut a hole in the middle of a piece you'll probably have to drill a hole as a starting point then use a saw with a very fine tooth blade.I can't think of any other way,maybe someone else can.If you use any sort of powered tool,drill,jigsaw etc,you must go as slow as possible to avoid heating up bits or blades and melting the plastic.For jigsaws there are specific blades.Again I'd suggest the piece be removed and laid flat.

Also if the plxi's edge is going to rest against the AC's body it's going to be tough to seal.Between the flexing of the plexi and the vibration of the unit plus the two dissimilar materials you may have trouble sealing.

You may want to think about remving the entire section of plexi and replacing it with wood etc around the unit filling in the area.This is far more commonly how the situation is dealt with.

Old 07-25-09, 10:22 AM
L
The plexiglass "window" is already installed. I live in a 20+ yr old mobile home. I wouldn't be able to remove the window to snap off the cutout. I don't have anyone to help nor do I have enough strengh to remove the window. If I ask for a fine tooth saw blade, would indicating it's for plexiglass be enough information?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: