Trane XE1000 Stopped Working

Old 07-27-09, 10:49 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Trane XE1000 Stopped Working

I came back from vacation yesterday and turned on the central A/C. After an hour the temp in the downstairs zone was still the same and the air coming through the vents was warm (i.e. not cooled). Upstairs zone was working fine. I went outside and discovered that the downstairs unit (Trane XE1000 TTR030C100A2, Mfg date 05/96) was simply making a humming noise. The fan turned easily when spun but it was not moving. The coolant lines were not cool - the unit was not doing anything. Resetting circuit breaker did nothing.

Thoughts?

Old 07-27-09, 12:05 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do you have 240V at the line side of the contactor?
Thats where I would start. If so try pushing contactor in with a stick etc and see if unit runs.

Old 07-27-09, 05:37 PM
M
Bulging Cap

I do have 240V at the line side of the contractor. The capacitor is bulging at the top and right side. I looked at the other unit and it looks 'normal' with no bulging.

The contactor engages when cooling is called but it does nothing (no fan or compressor).

According to the paperwork, the replacement cap is CPT0668. Replacing it looks pretty straightforward. Is it? Do you think that is the culprit? If so, I'd like to purchase it locally. What type of B&M store carries this product?

Old 07-28-09, 04:40 AM
D
A bulged capacitor is definitely a failed capacitor. Look on the cap for the uf and vac ratings [the cpt # is a Trane part #]. For example- it might say 40/5 uf 370 vac on the capacitor. On the new one, the uf rating wants to be the same, the vac wants to be same or greater but not lower. I've never seen capacitors at a home center store.

These folks have good prices:

Capacitors

You might also try a local appliance parts place.

just make sure you make a sketch of where the wires go or take pics or both.

Old 07-28-09, 05:22 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A bulged capacitor is definitely a failed capacitor. Look on the cap for the uf and vac ratings [the cpt # is a Trane part #]. For example- it might say 40/5 uf 370 vac on the capacitor. On the new one, the uf rating wants to be the same, the vac wants to be same or greater but not lower. I've never seen capacitors at a home center store.
Yep..................

Old 07-31-09, 11:27 AM
M
I finally located and installed a new capacitor (5/40/440) last night. Didn't fix anything. When it called for cooling, a couple clicks were heard and that is about it. The contactor is still working, but nothing else is.

One interesting thing is that no matter where I check, I never get more than 120V (ignore my previous posting where I said I read 240V - I did not when I rechecked). No readings higher than 120V anywhere within the unit.

I called a local Trane-recommended HVAC person and explained all I did. He is coming to visit tomorrow or Monday.

I tried.....thanks for the help.

Old 07-31-09, 12:17 PM
D
120 to ground? worthless reading. Check the incoming power for 240 volts. Might be something as simple as a blown fuse.

Old 07-31-09, 12:44 PM
M
Originally Posted by daddyjohn
120 to ground? worthless reading. Check the incoming power for 240 volts. Might be something as simple as a blown fuse.
Apologies for the naiive question but, how would one do that?

Old 07-31-09, 03:24 PM
D
Locate the power wires that come into the control box on the outdoor unit and test across them, not each side to the ground.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: