compressor fan spinning backwards

Old 07-29-09, 03:06 PM
Unhappy compressor fan spinning backwards

we just moved to Texas and into a house with air conditioning (which we've never had before and therefore aren't familiar with it at all) i'll give you all the info i know. our 3-ton unit for the upstairs has stopped working yesterday. inside temp set to 80 and it was blowing warm air. outside unit had a slight buzzing sound and every once in a while it seemed like it tried to kick on but the compressor fan never moved. on other days we've noticed that when the thermostat was set to 80 degrees our inside temp was around 84. but then on other days it worked just fine.

our home warranty sent a "tech" out to check it and this is what he told us:

replaced the 45 5 440 capacitor and started it up and it was working. then he noticed the fan was spinning backwards."only one thing will make it spin backwards and that's a power surge." he didn't check for any other causes.

so now our warranty wont cover the repairs because it was a power surge. i heard him quote the warranty place $350 for the whole job (labor and parts) then when they denied it, he quoted me $475! is there anything i can do to to fix this myself? or check if it's another problem that would be covered under the home warranty?

info:
goodman
model# CK36 1A
original unit with home 1998

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-09, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by parslee12 View Post
replaced the 45 5 440 capacitor and started it up and it was working. then he noticed the fan was spinning backwards."only one thing will make it spin backwards and that's a power surge." he didn't check for any other causes.
Nonsense. Reverse the connections to the Start Winding (probably after the cyntrifugal swtich, if any).
Doug

Old 07-29-09, 04:10 PM
he said the fan is a one way fan. not a "universal one." where do i find the Start Winding and the cyntrifugal swtich??

Old 07-30-09, 04:19 AM
There is no centrifagul switch [PSC motor] and there wasn't any power surge. These bozos p$%# me off. Either the new capacitor is bad [I wouldn't put it past these jerks to use a used cap], the motor is wired wrong, or the motor is faulty. Do you have a multimeter? If yes, scroll down thru the past couple weeks of postings, plenty of info there on how to check the motor.
This wil also help-

Fasco - FHP Replacement Motors - Time Saving Motor Replacement Tips

Old 07-30-09, 06:54 PM
My opinion is anyone considering a home warranty would be better off pissing into the wind.

Old 07-31-09, 04:39 AM
Originally Posted by Skip4661 View Post
My opinion is anyone considering a home warranty would be better off pissing into the wind.
+1
X2

What a load of crap they are giving this guy. I here story after story about home warranty and service contract companies.

Old 07-31-09, 04:59 AM
Originally Posted by Skip4661 View Post
I couldn't agree more, I don't know which is worse, the warranty companies or the "contractors" that work for them.

Truth of the matter is you get what you pay for, you go cheap you get cheap.

Old 06-01-12, 11:34 AM
Outside Air Conditioner Unit: Fan Spinning in Reverse

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Recently I replaced the contact relay and the capacitor (dual capacitor) on my 2.5 ton Payne outside unit. I thought that I wired everything on to the new capacitor correctly by following the wiring on the old capacitor. However, when turning on the unit, the fan on the outside unit spun counterclockwise. The unit was Sucking In Air rather than blowing it out, which is bad for the unit.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Solution: Originally on my unit the Brown Fan wire went to the Fan position on the old capacitor. The other Light Colored Yellow Fan wire went to the Common position on the old capacitor. However, wiring it the same way on the new capacitor reversed the rotation of the fan, thereby causing the unit to Suck In Air. By reversing the Fan Wires on the new capacitor, the fan spun clockwise and the air was blowing out of the unit. On the new capacitor the Light Colored Yellow Fan wire was this time connected to the Fan position of the new capacitor and the Brown Fan wire was connected to the Common position of the new capacitor.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Note: If your compressor has a delay in starting, you may want to consider adding a hard start capacitor. This has two Black wires that are wired to the Compressor position of the capacitor and the Common position of the capacitor. Wiring order does not matter. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Crabman[/SIZE]

Old 06-01-14, 12:48 PM
Someone on this site said that the likely problem is that after the run-start capacitor was replaced, the wiring on C and HERM was reversed, causing the condenser fan to spin backwards.

I had the same issue after replacing my start-run cap due to capacitor failure. I had no schematic for the compressor wiring, so I did my best guess. Started the compressor (that was solved, at least) but the fan was running backwards. Based on a message on this site, I reversed the position of C and HERM on the cap and fixed the problem.

Thank you whoever it was. I don't know, because I was not a member when I saw the fix (I wanted to reply) and had to register and wait, and I lost the original thread with the solution.

Old 06-01-14, 12:55 PM
Group Moderator
That why it's so imperative for a do it yourselfer to

DOCUMENT THE WIRING CONNECTIONS.

Old 06-01-14, 01:32 PM
My first thought was it was a 3 phase unit & phases had been reversed ? But you said capacitor & the fan motor would not have a capacitor if it was 3 phase .

Sounds like you are getting cheated ! :-(

God bless
Wyr