Window AC Unit questions

Old 07-29-09, 04:25 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Window AC Unit questions

I have always been curious, Can you set a window AC Unit on a table inside the house and run it without actually installing it so that the rear of the unit is exposed to the outside? If not, why, if you dont mind me asking. I've read that some window ac units require a dedicated circuit but for most smaller 5000 btu units that probably wouldnt be the case, correct? Thank anyone who can help me out with this.

Old 07-29-09, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
The function of an air-conditioner, or any refrigeration device for that matter is to transfer heat from one place to another.
You would only move the heat from the front to the back of the room.

It is recommend that all air-conditioners have a dedicated circuit because it could never be known what else is on the same circuit.
Common sense would say that if only a table lamp or similar in on the same breaker it might be ok.

Old 07-29-09, 05:23 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
They collect water condensed from the cooled air, and produce hot air which must be vented outside of the cooled area (they transfer heat from the air in the cooled area to air which must be vented). That makes sense. And the outside air is used to cool the condenser coils inside the unit.

Thanks for the info about the circuit too. I appreciate it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: