AC isn't keeping up with hot weather

Old 07-29-09, 06:40 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question AC isn't keeping up with hot weather

Please pardon my ignorance re ACs. I'm hoping one of you can suggest something I can pass on to the maintenance guys at my complex.

I'm hoping this will provide a clue: The outside box thing containing the compressor and whatever else is in my closet. Back when the AC worked properly, I used to hear a very loud fan sound a few times a day that would last for several minutes. What was that? Because since it stopped cooling effectively, I never hear that sound anymore.

The maintenance guys have done the basic stuff--adjusting pressure, freon, cleaning coils. They haven't messed with anything mechanical, nor have they suggested that anything seemed wrong. They said the AC was putting out 71 degrees, which they said was fine.

I'm in Florida and our weather isn't that bad right now. Average 91 outside almost every day. The inside temp creeps up depending on how long it's been since it rained, reaching as high as 89. Rain buys me a couple days of cool weather.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-29-09, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
50% Relative Humidity indoors, there should be around an 18 to 21-F split betwee

Originally Posted by Katje View Post
Please pardon my ignorance re ACs. I'm hoping one of you can suggest something I can pass on to the maintenance guys at my complex.

I'm hoping this will provide a clue: The outside box thing containing the compressor and whatever else is in my closet.

Back when the AC worked properly, I used to hear a very loud fan sound a few times a day that would last for several minutes. What was that? Because since it stopped cooling effectively, I never hear that sound anymore.

The maintenance guys have done the basic stuff--adjusting pressure, freon, cleaning coils. They haven't messed with anything mechanical, nor have they suggested that anything seemed wrong. They said the AC was putting out 71 degrees, which they said was fine.

I'm in Florida and our weather isn't that bad right now. Average 91 outside almost every day.

The inside temp creeps up depending on how long it's been since it rained, reaching as high as 89. Rain buys me a couple days of cool weather.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!
Guess it's a air handler in the closet.(?)

71-F output is not good!
What is the temperature in your apt?

I would get a Wind Machine 3300 floor fan to move the air from the room A/C to the rest of your Apt.

In 104-F Heat Index, I cool around 900-sq.ft. first floor with a half ton, 6,000-BTUH room A/C.

The air output is in the 50's.
At 50% Relative Humidity indoors, there should be around an 18 to 21-F split between the air output & the room air temperature.

That room A/C needs expert servicing.

Last edited by HVAC RETIRED; 07-29-09 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Indoor temp split
Old 07-30-09, 04:54 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The maintenance guys have done the basic stuff
Thats your first problem, try contacting your complex and request they send the maintenance supervisor or whoever is there most experianced HVAC guy out. As stated, 71deg supply air is nothing to write home about.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: