5 ton Weather King

Old 08-02-09, 11:23 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
5 ton Weather King

Hey ya'll -

Please assume that I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about central A/C and furthermore have been without a properly working A/C for 4 days in Louisiana.

Here are the symptoms: When the thermostat "tells" the compressor to come on, I can hear a short whine - and then nothing! The fan and blower are working - blowing hot air all around the house. Often, I can turn the unit off at the thermostat, let it "rest" (several hours), and when I turn it back on the compressor will come on and cool the house. When the set temp is reached, the compressor shuts off, but won't come back on when it should (the mentioned short whine can be heard - it sounds like a starter, but it is not catching).

Here is what's been done so far:
Replaced starting capacitor w/ relay etc (13 months - ouch!!)
Kick Start (2 days)
cleaned outside unit (6 weeks)
changed both filters (2 days)
checked freon pressure and refilled (6 weeks)

All techs told us that A) the unit is big enough for the house, and B) is in great shape and "should last at least another 10 years"

So, here is my question: What else (other than dirt, kick start, and capacitor) can cause this? When the next tech comes out Monday/Tuesday I would like to be able to know that I am not being milked. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-02-09, 12:11 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Have a company look at it that does not pay its tech on sells and you will not get milked.

Old 08-02-09, 12:26 PM
D
Originally Posted by airman.1994
Have a company look at it that does not pay its tech on sells and you will not get milked.
Thanks for the advice - I didn't know they get paid for the parts they sell. How would I find out, though?

Also, what parts of this A/c could cause the described problem?

Old 08-02-09, 06:52 PM
Could be a contactor or your system pressures are not equalizing before the unit tries to restart. If you don't have a short cycle timer you should have one installed.

Old 08-03-09, 08:00 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Call the manufacturer of your equipment and have them tell you who is a local factory authorized rep and have them look at the unit

Old 08-03-09, 06:26 PM
D
Thanks for the replies.
The tech came out today, and said the compressor is fried. We have a home warranty, but from what we hear it is one that will try to get out of replacing the compressor. It's unfortunate that we know so little about the inner workings of an A/C - it'll make it hard to fight this.

Old 08-04-09, 04:09 AM
Have you been using companies that your home warranty company has been sending out all this time?

Old 08-04-09, 09:54 AM
D
Angry

We are in the process of contacting a independent company, as we are not getting any response from the warranty provider - up to and including their phones being "out of service". The did, however, request "maintenance records" from us, including receipts for air filters (LOL). Meanwhile, we are HOT!
We are pretty certain that we will have to take care of this ourselves.

Old 08-04-09, 10:48 AM
You would be much better off with a good local HVAC company, I wouldn't let a a home warranty co contractor mow my lawn.

Old 08-04-09, 11:18 AM
D
We are learning that as we speak - the hard way.

We have an A/C tech over here right now. Question: Any reason why the last A/C tech would have left the breaker out (big black thing w/ 4 prongs) after he told us the compressor is fried?

Old 08-04-09, 11:21 AM
So you couldn't run it, I wouldn't trust that diagnosis.

Old 08-04-09, 12:53 PM
D
Here is the (hopefully) last chapter in this saga: Our trusted A/C man came over (came highly recommended, doesn't advertise etc) and we find out that
a) the breaker had not been put back in
b) the kick start the second-to-last guy had removed was never replaced (there simply wasn't a new one)
c) the kick start that had been removed was not big enough for a 5 ton unit, and
d) a resistor that had been added last year is now also missing.

Well, a kick start for 4 to 5 ton units has now been added, and we can feel cool air. It remains to be seen whether the compressor will come back on once it goes off.

Why would any company send a tech over to sabotage an A/C unit like that? I just don't understand. If I worked like that, people would be dead - so I don't.

Old 08-04-09, 04:42 PM
D
Probably didn't sabotage it- just untrained/unknowledgeale/stupid/can't think or some combination.

Here's a sample form when I was a service manager:

I send a guy on a service call to a restauarant, kitchen A/C isn't cooling. He replaces the condensor fan motor. Customer calls the next day, uinit still not working. I send another guy, he finds that #1 removed a 3/4 hp motor and replaced it with a 1/2 hp motor. Later I ask #1, why did you do that? His answer- the new motor fit the mounting bracket. When I tried to explain to him about the hp difference, his eyes glazed over. The concept was beyond him.

Old 08-04-09, 05:03 PM
D
Thank you for your reply. I am very surprised at the stupidity we have witnessed in the last few days. What happened to taking pride in your work etc.?
Like I said, if I approached my job with this attitude people would be dying (I'm in critical care medicine).
But for now, the house is down to 80F, the compressor seems to be running. It has not yet reached the cut off temp of 79F, so it remains to be seen whether it will come back on after that. But at least we feel we have found an honest A/C man (he's been doing this since 1964 - and even he was appalled).

Thanks to all those who replied.

Old 08-05-09, 04:27 AM
Its really quite simple, home warranty companies pay very little when they do pay. The only people they can get to work for them are either very new to the field or unscrupulous. No matter how you cut it you get what you pay for.

I don't care what field people go into, you can graduate law or med school with a C average. There are qualified careing people in every trade and profession and there are hacks.

If people always shop price they will more often then not get hacks.

Sorry didn't mean to vent, I just get sick of having to defend my trade because of the hacks.

Old 08-05-09, 06:23 PM
D
Smile

Sorry, Dunn11, didn't mean to step on your toes - of course there are always those who can't/won't their job like they're supposed to.
We got the warranty because we paid out of pocket for a repair last year (>$500 for a new kick start (start capacitor)). We thought we'd cut down on unpleasant surprises
Turns out now that the guy who installed this last year used a used part and charged us full price (and more!). Of course, the first tech who came out this year removed all the stuff the guy had installed last year, and didn't replace it w/ a new kick start!! In my book, if you don't leave all the parts with me, it's theft. I have already turned in this years company to the BBB, and I am seriously considering doing the same for last year's company (which was not a warranty company).
I am just glad I've found someone that appears to be trustworthy. He explained everything he did, gave us a crash course in A/C electrical works, showed us the piece in its new packaging etc. Kudos to all those like him!

I do have a question, though: Does anything have to be oiled on the fan or compressor? There are ball bearings in it, so it just stands to reason. Seems like I read something about regularly lubricating something in this forum. Just didn't ask my A/C Guru...

The house is at 78F, the compressor is working, and we are HAPPY!

Old 08-06-09, 04:24 AM
No need to apoligize, I'am glad you found a good tech. There is refrigeration oil in the system, that takes care of the compressor. As far as motors go, most of your newer equipment you don't need to oil. If you look at the cond motor and see little yellow (usually) plastic caps at either end of the motor, they are oil ports. Pull them out put in a few drops and replace.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: