Multiple Capacitor Burnouts

Old 08-02-09, 03:41 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Multiple Capacitor Burnouts

I wrote a post earlier but can't find it!

My system blew a capacitor. I was told it was a hard start capacitor. This is a Rudd system, scroll compressor installed in 2006. I restarted the system after it had been out of service 10 months due to hurricane Ike. Visual inspection showed all of the outside components to look OK. I started the unit and it ran fine for a week. One day it wasn't cooling so I opened it up and the hard start capacitor had the top blown off of it. I replaced the capacitor and within 2 minutes it squeled and blew smoke everywhere. Where do I need to look now. It is obvious that something else is wrong with the unit.
\
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-02-09, 03:51 PM
D
The start relay and start capacitor are usually replaced together.

Old 08-02-09, 04:45 PM
M
Thanks for the quick reply!

If you are refering to what they called the timer in the "Hard Start Kit" I was sold along with the capacitor there is a story behind it. I originally just changed the capacitor. After it failed again I went and installed the "timer" portion and then went to another place because the first place closed at noon on Saturday and bought another capacitor. When I installed the "new timer and the new Capacitor" the capacitor failed in about 2 minutes.

So, with a new "??Timer??" and a new capacitor it failed within a couple of minutes. Like I said I am not the AC genius. So what do you think I should look to next. This is 3 capacitors including the original that failed. Is the start relay what has been referred to as the timer or is it the other capacitor looking thing in the scheme. From what I remember there are only 4 components in this line up. The contactor which seems to be pulling in fine, the 2 minute system timer so that you can't start the compressor multiple time in a row and the hard start kit plus another capacitor looking thing (run capacitor?) and the compressor. This other capacitor is hooked up inline with the failing capacitor. It does not show any outward signs of problems like a puffed or swollen case. I plan on getting it tested Monday along with a new hard start capacitor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: