Trane XE 1000 hums, but no fan & no joy

Old 08-02-09, 09:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane XE 1000 hums, but no fan & no joy

Several people here have described symptoms similar to mine so I don't know whether my version of the problem will have any more success, but I'm hoping that by describing the problem completely I'll get lucky.

I have a Trane XE 1000, model TTR030C100A2. Three days ago (in the middle of a scorching heat wave, naturally) I noticed that it wasn't keeping the house cool. Here's what I've found:

1. The thermostat and furnace blower seem to be working properly; when the temperature is warm enough, the thermostat tries to get everything going and the blower circulates warm uncooled air.

2. When the thermostat turns the AC on, the outdoor AC unit makes a humming noise, but the fan doesn't turn. Here's a recording of the sound: AC_buzzing.mp3

3. When I give the fan a little nudge with a stick in the proper direction, it spins right up, apparently to full speed. When off, it turns freely when pushed.

4. I inspected the big capacitor. It doesn't look obviously bad to me. The top and bottom have slight bulges, but the cylinder of the capacitor appears to be symmetrical, so its shape might be normal. Here are pictures:

(The bottom picture looks like the cap has dents or bulges on the side, but I'm pretty sure this is an illusion resulting from the shape of the objects reflected in the metal.)

5. With the thermostat on, after using a stick to "kick-start" the fan, I let it run for a couple of hours to see if it would cool the house. It did not.

I'm about a 6 out of 10 on the handy scale, but I'm no pro. I can throw the breaker, take the cover off and replace a capacitor or motor with no problem, but any more than that and I'll probably be calling Sparky the Electrician. Having said that, I'd like to be chillin' before the next heat wave hits, hopefully without sacrificing my retirement fund.

Old 08-03-09, 07:03 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would replace the capacitor.

Old 08-03-09, 10:10 AM
D
Yep- replace the cap. The buzzing noise sounds like the compressor trying to start. Ya gotta love the Internet.

Old 08-03-09, 10:26 AM
When the top of the cap is bulged like that it's time for a new one.

Old 08-18-09, 08:48 PM
Smile Cap fixed it!

tWas the cap. It 95 out and 73 in! Booyah! Beer 4U2

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: