Ductwork in crawl space

Old 08-03-09, 04:22 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ductwork in crawl space

I have a older house that recently had a central air unit installed. The ductwork is in an uninsulated crawl space with dirt floor.
I had to go under the house over the weekend and noticed that the ductwork is "sweating" profusely.

I am on a fixed income (retired) so can't afford a expensive fix.
Is there a solution that I could do myself (reasonable handy, some physical limitations, but not to the point that can't do DIY work.

Thank you
Vic

Old 08-03-09, 06:03 PM
S
if it is raw metel you are absorbing the heat of the crawl space into the discaharge air going to the rooms and the air temp is higher for the rooms.you need to wrap the discharge trunk for now.....just klike when you pour ice water into a glass on the kitchen table and the room is warm and humid...how come it wasn't wrapped during installation call the contractor thats not right should be part of the deal from the get go.

Old 08-08-09, 04:48 AM
O
The furnace and ductwork were already in place, the contractor just added the central air. he was paid for what he did. I understand it would ahve been better if he had taken care of this at the same time, however, it is what it is, and I am trying to fix the problem not point fingers and play the blame game.

Should I "wrap" the ductwork with some type of insulation or should I attempt to insulate and seal the entire crawl space, i realize that the latter would probably be best in the long run but the expense may be too much for me at the moment.

Thanks!!

Old 08-08-09, 05:06 AM
S
seal all the connections with rubberized cement with a paint brush then pick up a roll of duct wrap and wrap everything that is discharge air up to the registers...forget sealing the crawl space it will still swet becuase you will be absorbing the temperature of the crawl into the discharge air of the supply duct

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: