A/C Problem

Old 08-04-09, 10:43 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C Problem

i am having an issue with new condensor fan install. the original fan was a 3 wire. orange, black, and purple. the new motor identical specs. identical fan blades and pitch has four wires:black, yellow, brown, and brown/white stripe. hooked up the black and yellow to the switch board and both browns to the same port on the dual capacitor. fan came on but didnt seem to have that cut your arm off torque. after ten minutes of running the fan cut off. the thermal switch cut off the motor and of course the motor was hot really hot. did i wire the condensor wrong. do the brown wires go to different sides of the capacitor? i even bought a new capacitor and ran it seperately from the a/c dual cap. same result hot motor, no thrust.

Old 08-04-09, 11:00 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Not quite sure what you mean be "the switch board" but black and yellow should go to load side of contactor and brown and brown/white should go to fan and com on duel cap.

Try to post a pic

Old 08-04-09, 11:19 AM
to LinT: There are local motor shops that deal with your issues where I live in portland,Or. If you replaced the motor, And it is an exact match to the old motor, re-Use the old blade. If not, You need to match the old 6 blade cfm to a new 4 blade cfm (by getting a blade with the right pitch). Then match the motor hp to the new blade. ALWAYS replace the capacitor. (match it to the new motor)
Done deal. If you try re-inventing the wheel, just know that it is a long and expensive journey. My advise is to start over and do it right, you will not have all of the issues of the unknown, and you will have the satisfaction of a job well done.

Old 08-04-09, 11:28 AM
R
condensor fan wiring

contactor=switch board. im an auto mechanic that thought he new what he was doing with this condensor fan install. any way i think you answered my issue . the brown and brown and white go to differnt ports on the capacitor. i installed them on the same side. so the brown on the com port, and the brown and white on the fan port?

Old 08-04-09, 11:30 AM
check to see if the bearing in the new motor turns easy. Rarely, you get a bad motor from the factory and the shaft is kind of "sticky". This would cause your issue. Otherwise, The Voltage being supplied to the motor is too low. Why did the old one fail?
Besides that, I would look at the blade again and verify 100% for sure that it is the one that matches the new motor. If so, check the motor HP on the new one to the HP on the old one. Someone screwed up somewhere.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: