Apartment Air Conditioner problems

Old 08-07-09, 10:14 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Apartment Air Conditioner problems

Just moved from a house to an apartment. The air conditioner is not blowing alot of air and it is not very cold. I'm trying to get the landlady to have it looked at but she is giving me a hard time. In the meantime I was thinking about cleaning the evaporator coils. Unfortunately they are in the ceiling in the bathroom with the drip pan emptying into the bathtub. I was wondering before opening the panel if any one has cleaned the evaporator coils for an apartment in a unit like this and if so can you tell me what to expect before I go to the trouble of opening it. Is it similar to one found it a house, can I just vacuum it and spray on the cleaner like the one in the house or should I just keep bugging the landlady and have it done professionally be/c it is too complicated and the coils need to be removed to be cleaned? I'm on the west side of the building so it gets pretty hot in the afternoon. It's been around 100 degrees outside for the last week and I'm concerned that my electric bill will be through the roof.

Old 08-07-09, 10:28 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Should be the same as in your home. But this is not your job to do. It is the owners job. I would bet that you will have lots of issues. I say that because you said it drains into the tub. If they did this half @ss what else have they done.

Old 08-07-09, 10:32 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you try to do it yourself your landlady could come back and say you damaged the equipment. Tell her you will hire your own tech and deduct it from your rent. That may get her moving.

Old 08-07-09, 10:32 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Suggest you tell her it is to hot to write your next rent check and suggest she Google "constructive eviction".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: