New Air Handler Old Condenser

Old 08-11-09, 08:40 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Air Handler Old Condenser

I have a 20 year old central A/C system with a leak in the air handler coil. One repair company told me they can put in a new coil or complete new handler without having to change the condenser unit and if the condenser fails in the future they can put in a new condenser and still use the new air handler. Another company told me both the air handler and condenser must now be changed since a new handler or coil will not have the same efficiency as the condenser and therefore will not be compatable. Who is right.

Thanks, Ron

Old 08-11-09, 08:53 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You always want to go with a matched system if you can. To replace a 20yr old A/H and not the cond. unit would be foolish IMHO.

My advise would be to get a few quotes from differant contractors on a complete new system, at 20 yrs old it is well past its expected life. Plus, you would be able to take advantage of the federal tax credits.

Old 08-11-09, 09:16 AM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Unless you plan to sale the house and move soon, I agree with Dun11. A complete new system not only they match right, they are much more efficient compare to a 20 year old system (I expect it uses 40-50% less electricity than the old one)
and the new ones these days use different type of freon, it will be hard to match in a few years.

Old 08-12-09, 05:59 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I plan to sell the house in about 1 year

Old 08-12-09, 06:13 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I understand you plan to put the house on the market in about a year. However, if you change the coil now the have the comp go bad your right back to square one. Unless it is strictly a $ issue I would not recommend it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: