AC Fan problem....please help

Old 08-11-09, 06:33 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC Fan problem....please help

OK...I am going to put as much info as possible to see if you can try to help me.

My a/c has stopped blowing cold air. It just has a small amount of warm air coming out of the vents when it is on. I went out to the unit and the fan is not moving.

I took off the cover and electrical panel cover. The small metal capacitor and it looked fine. It did not have anything that made it look bad. The large cylinder capicator looks normal as well. I don't see any burnt wires.

The starter engages and disengages when the thermostat kicks on and off.

When the power is applied a buzzing sound comes from the fan and it moves about a quarter of a turn. Twice I was able to use a stick to get the fan blade moving. It ran for about 45 seconds both times and then slowed and stopped.

When no power is applied to the fan it moves freely. When power is applied and I try to move it with a stick it is very rigid and hard to move.

I am hoping this gives you some info to give me ideas.

Thanks for any help!!
Swag

Old 08-12-09, 04:19 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Try replacing the small capacitor

Old 08-12-09, 05:19 PM
S
I checked both capicators today with an ohm meter and they both worked correctly. I then took the small capacator out and had Grainger test it on a capacator tester, it worked perfectly.

After having it off all night and day I put it all back together just to see if it would work. It started up right away. Then after a minute is slowed down and stopped. I could not get it back started.

I am now thinking it is the fan motor......any thoughts?

Old 08-12-09, 05:29 PM
I have seen this a few times myself, the motor spins until power is supplied. The motor windings are wonky and it is trying to run in both directions. You will need a new motor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: