ac not working don't have 24 volts

Old 08-12-09, 04:21 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ac not working don't have 24 volts

Hello, I am having trouble with my ac. The original problem was that the inside fan would come on but the outside compressor and fan would not. I pushed the manual button on the contactor and that kicked on the fan and compressor. So i figured i had a bad contactor and replaced it. Then when i turned on the ac nothing came on. I pushed the manual button on the contactor and the outside fan and compressor come on. I am not getting 24 volts at the outside unit itself or at the transformer located inside the furnace when i put the thermostat to cool. Now i am thinking the transformer blew?? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-12-09, 04:29 PM
You have miswired the new contactor causing a short in the low voltage. If you could post some pics of the contactor it would help greatly.

Old 08-12-09, 05:36 PM
T
Do you have a voltmeter ?
This is a job where the very first tool in your box that should come out is a voltmeter. There might be problems that are causing 24VAC to not get to the contactor in the AC condensor.
With out the volt meter you are just quessing.

Old 08-12-09, 06:24 PM
S
if you only shut the disconnect outside at the condenser you might of had 24Vs stil coming off the furnace from the stat cooling call and sparked a wire?do you have power at the stat...remove the stat and jump R to G for fan on the furnace if nothing thr TR is tripped or the fused link on the 24Vs is open need to change it....40VA 115/24V Grainger supply

Old 08-18-09, 05:19 PM
A
Thanks for the responses. Sorry i took so long to respond!! I just ordered a new transformer and hopefully i don't blow this one up. Now i have the new contactor wired. I have it wired so L1-white , L2- red, T1 Black, T2- red, the 2 yellow 24v to the top two terminals, smaller red and black wire to the back terminals of T2, and a purple wire to the back terminal of T1. These wire i cliped onto the back termals of T1 and T2 are the wires that i think could be wired wrong. I know the smaller red goes to T2 but just not sure of the black and purple wires. Any ideas?????

Old 08-23-09, 03:54 PM
J
There should be a wiring diagram on the lower door of the furnace and also one in the a/c electrical box. If not, provide the model and serial number for each and I will post the wiring diagrams for you to use.

Old 08-23-09, 07:54 PM
You may want to use an in-line 3amp fuse in the low voltage circuit so the fuse blows instead of the transformer.
Could help more if we had some pics of the electric compartment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: