5ton split unit in a mobile home 1500 sq ft

Old 08-13-09, 01:54 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
5ton split unit in a mobile home 1500 sq ft

I was called over to this elderly couples home to install a Ac unit in a wall for them, I looked at it and told them it was not the type made for a wall mount. ($99.00)unit . I asked them what was wrong with unit they have, they said it was 4 years new and it was a 5Ton unit i asked if the floor registar were blocked they said maybe 1 a little, and they told me electric bill is 5 to 6 hundred a month and it doesn't get cool if it 90 or above outside they had storm windows installed and a 2" styro foam roof installed over the top of the existing one. I asked about his filter he said he changes them and he had some new ones so i asked if I could change them for him that is when i noticed 2 10" x 10" return air grilles on the wall in the laundry rm actual size was more like 8x8. The door for access was located outside 4 screws holding it I removed them pulled the door back it weighed about 5 lbs it was constructed of the same aluminum siding has the rest of the home with a thin fiber bd slid in ea siding mounted to a 1x2" frame, so i changed,

Old 08-13-09, 02:13 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nickciro
I was called over to this elderly couples home to install a Ac unit in a wall for them, I looked at it and told them it was not the type made for a wall mount. ($99.00)unit . I asked them what was wrong with unit they have, they said it was 4 years new and it was a 5Ton unit i asked if the floor registar were blocked they said maybe 1 a little, and they told me electric bill is 5 to 6 hundred a month and it doesn't get cool if it 90 or above outside they had storm windows installed and a 2" styro foam roof installed over the top of the existing one. I asked about his filter he said he changes them and he had some new ones so i asked if I could change them for him that is when i noticed 2 10" x 10" return air grilles on the wall in the laundry rm actual size was more like 8x8. The door for access was located outside 4 screws holding it I removed them pulled the door back it weighed about 5 lbs it was constructed of the same aluminum siding has the rest of the home with a thin fiber bd slid in ea siding mounted to a 1x2" frame, so i changed,
the filters and put the door back on and went to my truck and got some plastic I had I then taped it around the door and I used 2 pieces of a vertical blind to make a arched rib off the door jam to keep the plastic off the door about 12" then I got the elderly man to look at it and explained what I was doing and asked him to go turn on the unit and come right back he was 14' away from the test when he got back it was all sucked up to the siding I have picture of this mess and some questions I did build a new layerd door and installed a 25"x20" return air grille w/filter how do you attach pictures here or can you?

Old 08-13-09, 05:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums Nickciro!

You can post pics using a free site like Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: