ICF Construction, mini splits and my exhaust problem

Old 08-15-09, 07:23 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ICF Construction, mini splits and my exhaust problem

So I'm in the final stages of my icf home design. It's all pretty much done and I am set on using a ductless mini split. I live in Missouri and also use wood heat for most(read 85%) of my heat in the winter. My only hang up is the whole house exhaust. Due to the ICF homes being so air tight, the sick home syndrome keeps popping into my head and I wonder how I can bring in fresh air (when opening a window isn't an option) and remove stale air and still make it cost effective. I know most of the major mini split brands have built in filters that "clean" the air, and that helps the issue some, but what other options do I have? I was thinking about using a erv type system, but if I need ductwork, then I'll just go with an old heat pump, which I don't want to do.

So, aside from just telling me to "use a heat pump", anyone have any ideas on how I can solve this problem? Would haveing an exhaust fan of some type in a central location with a HRV or ERV be enough?

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to provide.

Old 08-15-09, 07:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Id go with an ERV. Pull exhaust from bath into ERV and exhaust. Pull Fresh air and dump into basement or duct to living and bedrooms. RH could be a issue using Ductless splits if you go this way make sure you get a good dehumidifier.

Old 08-16-09, 05:28 AM
T
Originally Posted by airman.1994
Id go with an ERV. Pull exhaust from bath into ERV and exhaust. Pull Fresh air and dump into basement or duct to living and bedrooms. RH could be a issue using Ductless splits if you go this way make sure you get a good dehumidifier.
Hey airman thanks for the reply. The units I am looking at have a dehumidifier setting on them, do you think that would be enough of would more be needed? What erv would you reccommend? Thanks!

I like the idea of out the bathroom and in the basement. I could "cross" the whole house that way.

Old 08-16-09, 07:12 AM
T
So I'm trying to think this set up through here airman (and anyone else that can advise). I looked up the erv's online, and found a few I like, but can't visualize the set up really as far as the ductwork needed. Lets say I have this unit in my mechanical room downstairs with my waterheater and it comes up and out that side of the house to draw in fresh air. It then comes in and is then dsposited out of the mechanical room into the basement. How would my ductwork to get the indoor stale air out be? While I did like the idea of having the stale air taken out say, from the emaster bathroom ventilation, am I only using half the erv's function? I was thinking also that a more suitable place to have the ventilation fan would be in the mud room coming off from the garage as it can pull junk from the outside that gets in when the door is opened to the garage and prevent it from entering the home?

OK, thanks for helping me think this through.

Old 08-16-09, 09:05 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You could place the ERV basically any were. Pulling from the bath rooms will get rid of the odors and RH 24/7. Duct work would run from bath rooms to ERV. Every area of the country is different so I would find a dealer in your area that can service the brand of your choice. Dehumidifier setting is just going to over cool you will most likely need a dehumidifier. You can also get a ventilating dehumidifier. Santa Fe Max Dry Dual XT

Old 08-16-09, 04:07 PM
T
so a couple more questions.

1) I'm looking at the daikin units that can run 4 or 5 indoor units, and I'm looking at the heat pump. WHat do these units run on average price wise? Just ballpark is fine as I realize there are regional variances. I see mixed comments on wether they are more or less expensive than a comparable traditional heat pump.

2) I also see mixed reviews on their longevity. Are the comparable to a standard hvac unit, say a trane, york, etc?

3) being in the midwest our winters can get cold, near freezing sometimes at night, but not fo rlong stints. I've been using wood as my primary heat source for awhile now and don't feel the need to do any sort of aux. heat besides my heat pump and wood stove. I would think if I lived in Michigan, I would need somethign additional but not MO.

4) I saw a few posts on other hvac threads about parts being hard to find after just a few years, but was that the name brand systems or low end ones?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-16-09, 08:17 PM
T
This is a good choice for you. Download the spec sheet.Product Detail

Old 08-16-09, 08:20 PM
T
Look at this also. Fujitsu General America