Compressor HOT even when not running, won't start

Old 08-16-09, 08:37 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Compressor HOT even when not running, won't start

We noticed there was no cooling. Usually it is a blown capacitor, but this time all looks fine. The compressor was HOT, so I flipped the thermostat to OFF. Next day I touched the compressor again and it is hot, although not quite as hot. I have flipped the breaker OFF for now. Any ideas? I just don't remember a compressor staying hot even when not trying to run.

Old 08-17-09, 06:37 AM
R
I little updat:
After the night cooling with power off comressor is cold. Turn all the power on it will not start.
I guess I will take further steps with the electrical.

If all fails this is the excuse I have wanted for years so I can buy an outside packaged, all-in-one, unit. I hate a blower in the house making all the noise, and especially it is next to my office making it difficult, sometimes, to understand customers when on the phone.

Looking on the net I liked the Goodman units built in Houston. I need to make a trip down there anyway and the wifey likes CHinatown. The best in the USA.
...Later

Old 08-23-09, 03:41 PM
J
Have you checked the contactor and capacitor? Capacitors do fail and sometimes show no visible signs. The contactor may have worn or pitted contacts or bad coil causing it to not pull in when the call for cooling occurs.

Regarding Goodman packaged units, they are a decent unit for the price, and there workmanship and quality has come up a great deal over the past 10-15 years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: