Contactor replacement

Old 08-17-09, 09:06 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Contactor replacement

One of our AC units stopped today - the blower is pushing air but the evaporator fan outside is not engaged. I checked the breaker and it was tripped. I reset it and nothing happened. Upon further research I checked the outside unit and noticed that the contactor is blown. One of the power leads actually melted on the contactor. How do I find a suitable replacement? It is an old Carrier unit - 38EH042320. I have done some searching and have come across some actual carrier versions and some generic ones. How do I know exactly which I need? THe circuit breaker is a 40a so do I need a 24v 40a? or is that unrelated? Also - I will need to replace that lead wire. Is that as easy as jsut picking up a foot od the appropriate gauge wire and some sort of crimp that will fit the contactor is should I be mindful of something else? thanks in advance! I am hoping ot find a local supply house first thing in the morning so I can get air back up and going. i really dont want to wait on a mail order item.

Old 08-18-09, 04:06 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Look on the old contactor, all the specs should be there. I would check all line voltage elec connections as well. If your not sure how to repair a burnt wire I would suggest getting someone who is, sorry.

Old 08-18-09, 04:50 AM
S
Grainger Industrial Supply will have the contactor and welcomes DIYrs check for the nearest one cash/credit no account needed.24v coil and 40 amps but take the info off the actual contactor not the breaker.for that crimped on connetor you will have to buy a pack of them try HD also for the eyelet connector.if you want check the contactors they have in stock on line.you might get one that allows you to cut and strip the wire for a connection to illiminate that crimp connector.check those slip crimp ons within the compressor terminal box and all the way back into the CB inside the house something was loose there and produced enough heat to melt the insulation. the contactor should show the load with black arked contacts.you an over size the contactor on the amp rating as long as you stay with a 24V coil for control...and space restriction within the condenser section.

Old 08-18-09, 05:20 AM
S
thanks for the reply sminker! Can you please clarify the following? "check those slip crimp ons within the compressor terminal box and all the way back into the CB inside the house something was loose there and produced enough heat to melt the insulation. the contactor should show the load with black arked contacts." Should I just be checking the wiring everywhere I can to see if something is loose or has a crimp or something as that may have caused it to short out sort of and burn up at that point? Also - just to verify - I read that most AC units use 24v which is why i posted that earlier. I will try to take a look at the old contactor but it is OLD. Is 24v standard? Which gauge wire will I use for that short lead? It goes to the main power source and is connected via wire nit within the box itself.

Old 08-18-09, 08:12 AM
S
Problem solved!

I was able to decipher the old worn out label on the old contactor and determined it to be a 30a. I went to the supply house, picked up a new honeywell 2 pole 24v 30a. Then wI went to Lowes and got a couple of feet of new wire and some connectors as I replaced the wire just to be safe since I was in there already. Powered everything up and so far so good. thanks for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: