compressor fan - changing direction

Old 08-18-09, 08:54 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
compressor fan - changing direction

A/C wasn't cooling the house. Repariman said capacitor was bad. It was swollen. House still didn't cool. He came back and said fan was going in wrong direction. He switched wires and said it must have been wired wrong all this time. House still didn't cool. I found fan goes in clockwise (CW) sometimes and counter clockwise (CCW) other times. Repariman came back and says I need a new motor.

I tried a variety of things and discovered if the thermostat starts the unit, the fan will turn in correct direction (shown on motor), which is up in your face looking at it. If I pull plug outside while running, let it come to a stop, then plug it back in, then the fan turns in the wrong direction. This seems very consistent.

I verified at Lennox site that right capacitor - 35, 5, 370 - was installed.

So is the wiring still wrong ? Is the motor bad ? Something else ?

Old 08-19-09, 10:19 AM
You need a new motor....................

Old 08-19-09, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I think theres more to it than just the fan motor. Are you getting ANY cool air in the house? If the fan is running..you should be getting something...maybe not as efficiently as it should...but something.

Are the pipes running into the house hot on one and cold on the other?

No expert...but its one thing when the fan won't turn at all and another when its turning the wrong direction I think.

Old 08-19-09, 12:36 PM
M
I am getting cooler air coming through the vents and water is extracted inside going to the floor drain. However, whenever the fan spins the wrong way, I think it'll be super inefficient and run forever.

Old 08-19-09, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Probably true...when you said house wasn't cooling..I presumed you meant at all.

Yeah..sounds like you need a new motor. Whats happened is the start windings have gone bad..so whichever way the fan happens to be slightly moving..or weighted towards..thats how it runs. $60-90 or so for most of them. HVAC supply..Grainger..or a motor shop.

Although the water through the floor drain statement seems odd. Normally it just drains outside somewhere..or in newer homes into a plumbing vent.

Old 08-19-09, 01:05 PM
I have 2 Goodman A/C units and last year we experienced exactly what you are experiencing. The fan was running slow on one of the condensing units and was spinning in the wrong direction. It was not cooling at all. We called our HVAC repair guy and after some testing, he determined it was indeed the capacitor. They carried a capacitor that can be wired a myriad of different ways for different condensing unit loads. He replaced the cap and the condensor has been running perfectly since. I would definitely say it is your cap.

Old 08-19-09, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
@6crn....
The cap was replaced ....according to the original post. Well..I guess it was anyway..lol

Old 08-20-09, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
@6crn....
The cap was replaced ....according to the original post. Well..I guess it was anyway..lol
Yeah, I read that but was confused as to whether it was wired properly. I still have the box on my workbench along with the instructions for the cap my tech installed last summer. Like I said, it is one that can be wired a myriad of different ways depending on the unit it is installed on. My tech must have wired it right as it fixed the problem right away and has been going strong ever since. I'd maybe get another tech (or another company) to come out and take a look. Also, if you post the make and model of your A/C unit someone may be able to tell you the exact cap you need.

We experienced an indirect lightening strike last year that took out about $20K worth of our audio visual home equipment. Thank goodness for homeowners insurance. Anyways, the cap on one of our A/C condensors looks as though it took some of the lightening hit as well, but it didn't die right away...took about 1 1/2 months before it started acting up like what you are mentioning with yours. Per our tech, I guess it is pretty common for the caps to go on these units and/or be affected by lightening. The top of the cap was definitely bulged.

Old 08-21-09, 12:45 PM
M
The capacitor has been replaced and still exeriencing the original problems. It's possible he wired it wrong. I found the motor at Grainger (grainger part #2pra4, lennox part #72h7301) costs $108. I may try switching the purple and orange wires as one tech said he already did in an attempt to get fan going in right direction. If that doesn't work, I'm leaning toward installing new motor. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-21-09, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
My suggestion is to not "try" anything.
Loosen or remove the motor and the wiring diagram and capacitor size should be printed on it then check the hook up.

Old 08-22-09, 06:55 AM
Again, based on our experience last year, this situation sounds spot on to the issue we had. If the cap was replaced, I think that it is either not the right cap or has been wired incorrectly. I really don't think it is the motor.

We had our blown cap replaced with a Turbo 200 universal replacement motor run capacitor from Amrad Engineering. This cap can be configured for 2.5/5.0/5.0/10.0/20.0/25.0mfd. You can check it out at: AmRad Engineering, Inc. - 1. Home

Since it was installed (correctly mind you) we have had no issues.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: