opening up hidden vent under cabinet - safe?

Old 08-19-09, 11:45 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
opening up hidden vent under cabinet - safe?

I recently found cold air blowing out from around the sink vanity / cabinet in my bathroom.

I removed toekick and found a round duct pipe coming up from below and cold air blowing out when A/C is on.

I can't figure out why builder never vented this air. It has been cooling & heating the bottom of my bathroom cabinet for years. (There is no other register in the bathroom).

I would like to vent this thru the toekick to have heat / A/C in the bathroom.

But before I vent it...How can I be SURE that this is safe and clean heat / AC air? How do I know it is not some dangerous flue or exhuast vent?

It is round, whereas all of my other register vents are rectangular. And builder let it remain hidden.

I know you would think it wouldn't have passed inspection, but I live in a cheap (throw it up in a day) townhouse, and I've found a million things that were done wrong by builder.

Is there some tool or test I can use to make sure this is safe air to vent into the room?

Thank you for your help.

Old 08-19-09, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
No way to trace the ducts?

If not...I'm sure you can probably do something as simple as spraying a little perfume or something on the filter then turn on the fan and go see if you smell it coming out of the toekick area... an incense stick would prob work as well.

W/o tracing the duct I'm not sure theres an absolute positive way to know. Is there possibly a room with a vent directly below?

Old 08-19-09, 12:05 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Some inspectors use long fiber scopes that could easily be used from the opening to see where it connects. However, if you are feeling cold when the ac is on and heat when the heater is on, you should be ok.

Or you could borrow my wife's nose and use GG perfume approach and she could tell you how long the vent is .

Bud

Old 08-19-09, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Bud....if you would quit coming home with perfume smell on ya...

lol

Old 08-19-09, 01:46 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Oh goodness, I wouldn't be able to get passed the door.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: