bryant coil leak

Old 08-21-09, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bryant coil leak

Hi this is the second coil leak. I'm not sure how old the unit is probably more than 10 years. The first leak the friend/tech gave a quick fix by spraying stop leak on the coil. Well it's leaking again and now we have to replace it. He quoted a price of 1500.00 but I remember it being lower on the first leak. I called around and found 1200.-1500. to replace the coil. It seems high to replace a coil. Does the tech have to do anything else unscrew one and just screw the new one in? I read were they have to cleaned, decontaminated, and sealed air tight. And what does that mean? Is this correct or can I do it? Help please.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-09, 01:04 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What region are you located and what is the model and serial number of the unit.

Also, specifically, which coil are you refering too? The indoor coil or the outdoor coil?

Regardless, it is not something you would be able to do, due to the specific tools and training required to change a coil. Depending on your Region, I may be able to refer you to a reasonable company in your area.

Old 08-24-09, 02:02 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
$1200-$1500 is not out of line to replace a coil, you need to recover refrigerant, cut out and braze (while purging with nitrogen) in new coil, evacuate system, and recharge.