Philco Model 7AG3A wall unit

Old 08-22-09, 07:57 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Philco Model 7AG3A wall unit

I have two through-the-wall Philco Model 7AG3A air conditioners that have both stopped blowing cold air.

If you turn them on, they power up, and the condensers get cold, but the fan will not turn on to blow the cold air. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem without having to replace them at $600 a pop?

Old 08-22-09, 12:33 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Will the blower squirrel cage spin freely by hand? If not-------

I had a 1-ton this year that I took out of the wall and dismantled, and took the motor apart itself (easy) and grease-packed the dry end-bearings and now it works like a champ.

Old 08-22-09, 02:53 PM
I think a 1-ton is a little out of my league.

This is a wall unit (6800 btus) on the second floor of my home. I have 4 of them and two crapped out. Unfortunately, I can't post pictures of them here, but if anyone out there needs to see them, I can email them to you.

I would really like to take a stab at fixing these things because it's going to cost $1200 to replace and god knows what a service tech will charge.

I know this is an older unit...probably 20-30 years old...and Philco doesn't manufacture these small air conditioners anymore.

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Old 08-22-09, 03:56 PM
E
Are these truly wall units where the chasis slips into a permanent thru the wall sleeve? Or window units someone installed in the wall? I know that window a/c's of that btu size are really cheap now at my home center. If my memory serves me - like $160 or so, give or take. And they are Frigidaire, no less. Not some unknown brand.

We have to find out if the fans can freely turn, to know if it is mechanical or electrical at play here.

Old 08-22-09, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51`
Are these truly wall units where the chasis slips into a permanent thru the wall sleeve? Or window units someone installed in the wall? I know that window a/c's of that btu size are really cheap now at my home center. If my memory serves me - like $160 or so, give or take. And they are Frigidaire, no less. Not some unknown brand.

We have to find out if the fans can freely turn, to know if it is mechanical or electrical at play here.
This is a wall unit that slips through a chassis in a sleeve. That's the main problem. The measurement for this unit are 25 1/4" wide by 14" tall and there's only one or two units that I could replace it with, and they're $600+. If I could replace them for $300 for both, I wouldn't bother trying to fix it.

How would I go about getting to the fan? When I pop off the cover, all that I can see are the condenser fins. Do I need to open it from the other side?

:::20 minutes later:::
I just went upstairs to look at the ac and find the fan. I was able to spin start the fan and it is working now. After shutting it off, though, I had to spin start it to get it going again. Would a shot if WD40 do the trick to fix this problem or is it more involved?

Old 08-23-09, 11:06 AM
E
To get at the fans and internal parts, the whole chasis pulls out of the sleeve, in toward the room. Often they are just slid in with no screws. But look for screws through front side or bottom holding chasis in sleeve if it does not tug on out of there. Sometimes they can be hard to pull out after sitting in there for years, and/or a tight fit. Once out, you then can access what you need to.

If the fan was hard to spin by hand, that might be your problem. If easy to spin, you may have a bad capacitor. Those are cheap to replace.

Old 08-23-09, 12:26 PM
Thanks, ecman. It sounds as though there may be some rust in there, as there is a rhythmic scraping noise coming from the fan when it starts and stops, but it is easy to spin.

Either way, I probably won't be messing with it too much now. I may just wait till the end of the summer and use it sparingly in the meantime.

Old 08-23-09, 01:58 PM
E
Tolerances are very close between fans and their housings. I had to be careful upon reassembly of the one I (fairly recently) took apart. You have to allow for slight wobble of the fanblade or squirrel cage, that during the slight wobble, it does not scrape the housings. Also engineering tolerance of how the braces to the housings are what make the housing openings perfectly perpendicular to the motor shaft that has the blade and squirrel cage on it. If anything gets bent, it will upset that geometry.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: