Pls help - York blowing warm air, hot pipe

Old 08-26-09, 08:44 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pls help - York blowing warm air, hot pipe

Please - I need help.
I have a 4-year old York unit servicing the zone 1 of the house. I noticed that from 2-3 days ago, the A/C continues to run in the evening and the temperature is not going down.

So I checked the air duct, and the air is warmer.
I checked the outside and it seems that the outside unit is running.

- I felt the pipes, and the larger insulated line seems normal
- the thinner non-insulated line is very hot
- I replaced the filters about 2 weeks ago
- the control board light on the unit is green

When I turned the unit off, the hot pipe line cooled down. Then when I turned it back on, the cold air started to come out of the duct. So I thought the unit was okay. But later on I noticed that the air temp was back on the warmer side and the A/C keeps on running.

- I have a SmartTemp thermostat, which was installed two years ago - and is working

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

(If there is another post that resolved similar issues, please let me know. I scanned through the posts but could not review all of them)

Old 08-26-09, 09:18 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Have you noticed any ice at the indoor unit?
Does the air flow decrease after the unit runs for a while?
You will need to make sure the compressor is running, just because the condensor fam mtr is running does not mean the compressor is.
Do you have a meter and know how to use it?

Old 08-26-09, 09:39 AM
S
I will check all the areas when I get home - and post the results.
Thanks for a quick reply!

Old 08-27-09, 01:09 PM
S
I checked a couple of things last night, but could not check a whole lot.

a) could not purchase a thermometer, so I placed an on-line order.
b) checked the indoor unit, and the board was okay and blower was fine. Did not notice any ice - but could not open the coil area since it was sealed. Should I remove the seal and unscrew the box pleneum to look inside?
c) room temp is 83, and the air coming out of the duct is 82 (using the conventional digital thermo)
d) cannot tell if the compressor is running outside. Do I need to remove the cover on the condensor unit? Then, afterwards, how do I check to see if the compressor is running?

The air volume does not really go down after the unit runs for a while. The air coming out of the duct just gets hot.
The larger coolant pipe, I cannot really feel whether the temp is cold.
The smaller coolant pipe, gets really hot real quick when the unit runs. If I turn the unit off, it cools down rather quickly.

Any guess on if it is the compressor or the capacitor?
Thanks again !!!

Old 08-27-09, 02:35 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by sharkspin
cannot tell if the compressor is running outside. Do I need to remove the cover on the condensor unit? Then, afterwards, how do I check to see if the compressor is running?
If you can't hear the compressor, it's not running. It makes a different, unmistakable sound than the fan. If you don't know what to listen for, go to a neighbor's compressor that is running.

I may be underestimating your experience level, but I'm sensing that you may need to call a service man.
Doug

Old 08-28-09, 04:45 AM
Doesn't sound like the compressor is running. Go to where the wires enter the unit and remove that cover to access the start componets.

My guess would be the capacitor, check to see if its bulging or leaking.

Of course turn off power first and discharge cap.

Old 08-28-09, 11:26 AM
S
Thanks again, for your replies!

Last night, I spend a couple of hours outside trying to observe the behavior of the A/C.
And I think I stumbled upon something - may be the probable cause of why it is hot - but don't know what caused it (or how to fix it).

1) I left the unit off during the day, and when I got back, I turned it back on. It worked without any issues, for about an hour, with both the condenser fan and the compressor running (I can hear the metallic sound of the compressor running, with some droplets of water near the pipes with condensation).
2) About an hour later, the unit turned off, since it cooled the zone sufficiently
3) About 30 minutes later, the unit kicked back on, as the temperature went up again
4) Then I felt the warm air come out. When I got out, I noticed that the condenser fan was not running at all. The top of the unit where the fan motor is, the bolts were very hot. Of couse, the condenser outside was getting hot, and the coolant pipe was getting hot. It sounded like the compressor was still running.
5) Afraid of the fact that I might burden the compressor since the heat was not getting dissipated, I turned the unit off again.

So it seems that the fan just cuts off, causing the condenser to heat up without being able to dissipate the heat.

Is that possibly a faulty capacitor on the condenser unit? I checked the wires leading to the condenser box, and they seem to be okay.

Thanks again !!!

Old 08-28-09, 12:06 PM
The motor is heating up and tripping on thermal. Without taking amp readings you won't know whats going on. If the compressor and fan start I'd say the cap is ok, did you check the capacitor?

Its tough from behind a computer, is the condensor coil clean and clear of obstructions?

If so, and the cap looks good, based on the info you provided I would change the fan motor. In your case I would change the cap too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: