Primary condensation drain blocked - Aux. drain collapsed

Old 08-26-09, 01:22 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Primary condensation drain blocked - Aux. drain collapsed

My questions:
If it was properly flushed, should I have experienced the problem that I describe below? Should the primary condensation drain have gotten clogged causing water to seek out the aux. drain which unfortunately had come loose? Should the screw have come loose from the aux. drain? Even the service tech who came yesterday stated that the collapse of the aux. drain was unusual.

The other night I discovered that there was a water leak coming from what I assumed was the A/C air handler in the attic. It happened once before many years ago. At that time, we had an auxiliary drain installed. Unfortunately, there was a dual problem this time.
The primary drain was blocked causing water to accumulate in the aux. drain. Weight of water caused drain pan screw to come loose spilling water into the attic. Its path from there was down the walls and chimney and into the basement.

I had no prior warning that this might happen. The primary condensation tube drains into my house gutter which feeds into a lead that goes into a well. Therefore water draining cannot be viewed. And I cannot climb into the attic or up a ladder to check it Inasmuch as the aux. drain was collapsed, although I can see where it would drain out and over the gutter, no water was following that path.

I have had my system serviced annually by the same company for years.
In May, during the annual start up, the service order indicates that the condensation drain was flushed. When I questioned the service tech. and other representatives of the company, they replied that the clogged status could happen after the system was serviced. Iím not really completely satisfied with that response especially since I will have to go to additional expense to have walls repaired or at least repainted. At the moment, Iím not sure how extensive the damage was. And I definitely want to prevent this from happening again. The service tech. assures me that the problem with the aux. drain should not reoccur.

I will be speaking with one of the owners of the company on Monday. Your reply will be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-26-09, 02:00 PM
Yes it could plug after being serviced. I have witnessed this several times myself. I have also seen drains that would plug more than once during the summer. Wherever the drain has trapped water it has the possibility of growing algae in the drain line. Sometimes this algae will become quite solid and will obstruct a drain. 1/2 cup of bleach in the drain once a month during the summer will keep the water flowing.

Last edited by Skip4661; 08-26-09 at 02:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-27-09, 04:46 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I agree, I also have seen condensate lines clog a few months after they were cleared and or serviced it happens.

I understand your frustration, however the service company is not at fault.

Old 08-27-09, 04:49 AM
You should have an E/Z trap or a wet switch installed, they would prevent this from happening again.

Old 08-27-09, 08:29 AM
C
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I understand this may happen even you did routine maintenance. but If I were Ritak, I question the firm too. Did they really do a good cleaning job ? May be they just cleaned half the pipe, and was still half way clogged? who knows? but At this point, unless you have proof, it is too late to blame anyone, but just a lesson learned here.

Old 08-27-09, 08:54 AM
How do you clean half a pipe?

If you flush the line and it flows the line is clear. Its almost always the trap that gets clogged.

Old 08-27-09, 07:18 PM
R
Originally Posted by clocert
I understand this may happen even you did routine maintenance. but If I were Ritak, I question the firm too. Did they really do a good cleaning job ? May be they just cleaned half the pipe, and was still half way clogged? who knows? but At this point, unless you have proof, it is too late to blame anyone, but just a lesson learned here.
I, RitaK, did question the company and will do it again. The problem was compounded by fact that the aux. drain pan collapsed due to loose screw. I guess that should have been checked more carefully, but it was something that even the service tech. never anticipated happening. As noted, this was a lesson well learned. There is no way that I can get up into my attic. The access is through the roof of a closet. Getting up into the attic takes a lot of upper arm strength. After this happening, I will definitely make sure that everything is checked and rechecked in the future.

Old 08-28-09, 04:14 AM
Again, the installation of an E/Z trap or wet switch will prevent water damage in the event the line becomes clogged again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: