a/c tripped breaker after running 5 min during the hot day

Old 08-27-09, 08:16 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
a/c tripped breaker after running 5 min during the hot day

I have a 2 year-old A/C unit that I have the a/c company to replace both furnace and outdoor unit. It was working fine last year and last couple months. However, wife called during the day said the breaker was tripped after the a/c was running 5 min. She tried to reset the break but never get it reset. When I came home at 7pm, reset the breaker, and turn on the a/c, 5 mins later, the breaker tripped. Reset it again, and it ran for 30 minutes without problem. What area should I look to first? I replaced the 50amp breaker twice already. The first one came out of box DOA, and I put the 2nd one and worked fine since.
Is it possible I have a bad breaker again? When the unit runs fine, it cools down the house rather good. So I think the a/c itself is fine. Is it possible of bad wire/connection somewhere?

please help!

Old 08-28-09, 04:11 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would check all electrical connections from the panel to the unit, be sure all are tight and clean.

Also suggest taking an amp draw of compressor on start up. Read the installation instructions and verify the correct size breaker is being used.

Old 08-28-09, 07:35 AM
P
I pulled the breaker today and replaced with a new one. The only thing I found weird is that one of the wire was slightly short. It probably only contact at the tip of the screw when installed. Might it be the reason to trip the breaker due to poor connection?

Ran the unit for 30 minute for now, working continuous and perfectly so far...Beer 4U2

Old 08-28-09, 08:03 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Might it be the reason to trip the breaker due to poor connection?
Its possible, did you check amp draw of compressor at start up?

Old 08-29-09, 09:26 PM
P
Originally Posted by dun11
Its possible, did you check amp draw of compressor at start up?
no..because I really have no idea how to do that..:P
could you kindly let me know how to do that? Do i need a clamp type of current meter to do so?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: