Duct Cleaning?

Old 08-31-09, 09:58 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Talking Duct Cleaning?

Hello,

I was hopnig to get an opinion from some of the pros here with regards to having our a/c ducts cleaned. We seem to make a crazy amount of dust in the house, and when I checked the floor outlets, sure enough they are full of dust and crud from when the house was built a few years ago. I cleaned them with the vacuum as well as I could but didn't want to push to far in to the ducts for fear of damaging them.

We have the flexible ducts with wire re-enforced black plastic tubes insulated with a thin layer of fiberglass and a silver outer sheath. We run decent 3M filters and change them regularly.

My questions are - do you think the cleaning will help the dust problem, and with those type of ducts is it even safe for the system? I'm obviously worried about some knucklehead tearing the inside of my ducts or wasting money on an ineffective treatment.

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-31-09, 01:30 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
HVAC system cleaning if done correctly will help. Flex duct can be cleaned. Big things to ask. how long will it take? An average home with one system will take 5 to 8 hours. Make sure they are using negative air not a shop vac or rotobrush.

Old 09-01-09, 01:42 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response. I will look for a good service provider. I don't know what negative air is but I would guess that it means they will suck air out of the supply side of the system at the unit and run a brush thru the ducts rather than run a brush on the end of a vacuum hose thru the ducts. Is that close?

Old 09-01-09, 05:16 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yep you got it. Negative pressure will put the duct work in a vacuum and everything that gets broke loose from the duct will get pulled to there equipment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: