Relocating Outside Unit

Old 09-02-09, 05:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Relocating Outside Unit

I would like to relocate an outside unit to the opposite side of the house. This is a task that I am not really up to doing at all so I would need professionals. I actually think it was a mistake to put the outside unit on the side where the pipes have to be run across the basement ceiling to the unit inside which is located on the other side of the house. The pipes length is approximately 20/25ft. Moving it can reduce the length to about 12 ft. Who can do this? Cost? etc. Please advise. Thanks.

-=SunnaH=-

Old 09-02-09, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You would need an HVAC company and probably an electrician. Depending on the age/model of the unit..you really might be better off replacing it with a new more efficient unit and getting a tax credit.

Just a guess..you could be looking at $1500-2000, since all the wiring and piping would need to replaced/rerouted. And since the pipe run will be shortened they may need to make changes to certain parts in the unit.

Not a HVAC Tech...just trying to help with an answer. We have a couple of Pro's here from around that area who may be able to be more accurate. They've been busy the last few weeks, may be a while for an answer.

Old 09-02-09, 08:25 AM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
I did this about 20 years ago. I bought a house the outside units were next to my bedroom. It was too noisy at night, So I had them ( 2 units) moved to the other side of the hosue. Cost me $700 for the A/C tech, $250 for the electrical work. I did not know anything about A/C at that time, but I watched the whole process. They cut the existing big and small pipes and the 24v wires in the attic a few feet from the air handler and connect the new pipes/wires to them, ran the new pipes to the out side of the house and nicely covered, and went strait down to the ground where they attached the condensers they moved from the old site. the pad is movable, so they moved that too. They waited for the electrical work done then they connected the conderser boxes and charged it up. they started at around 9 am, finished the whole work around 4 pm with lunch break and some wait time for the electrician to put the new boxes out on the wall. The electrician had to run new wires from my electrical box which is about 15 feet away. took him about 1.5 hour to do that. The system was all OK for the next 10 years. I sold the house after that. (Of course I had to paint the cover of the new pipes, patched the old pipe hole on the wall, but I left the old pipes in there.)

Old 09-02-09, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Most a/c units have a minimum required length for the lineset. Generally it is 15 feet. Might want to check the install manual or call the mfg..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: