Condenser Fan Motor Need Guidence

Old 09-03-09, 12:13 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Condenser Fan Motor Need Guidence

My condenser fan motor starting acting up today. I noticed the interior blower unit was working but not producing cold air. I went outside to look at unit and noticed my condenser fan was not running. I took a long screwdriver and manually turned the fan to check if the motor was frozen. Upon doing this the motor begin functioning as normal. I watched as it cycled off and then back on and the motor failed to start. Again I turned the fan and Viola it started running again. I read on this forum somewhere that it could be my capacitor. Is the capacitor located on the motor itself or would it be located inline with the wiring harness? I also would need to know how to make sure it has been cleared prior to removing it. I'm assuming that a capacitor could be purchased at a HVAC supply house. The motor is a A O Smith any help regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-03-09, 11:55 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, it sounds like a capacitor. It is located in the box where the high voltage wires go into the unit. Turn the power off and open the panell and you will see a silver can or oval looking thing. That is the cap. Remember were the wires go and disconnect and just take the whole cap into the supply house. There are markings on the cap that tell what size it is.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: