Fan works but no air thru vents

Old 09-05-09, 11:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fan works but no air thru vents

Hello,
The fan on the AC unit is turning on, but no air is being pulled through the intake and no air is coing out the vents. Any ideas on what the problem is? This is my first time dealing with an AC unit.
Thanks for your input.

Old 09-05-09, 11:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 914 Upvotes on 772 Posts
Have you checked/cleaned the air filter if there is one?

Old 09-05-09, 11:43 AM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Is the fan belt driven? See if the belt is broken.
Doug

Old 09-05-09, 11:52 AM
It doesn't appear to be belt driven. It's a 6 year old York AC unit.
I change the air filters in the intake vent regularly. Is ther another filter somewhere else?

Old 09-05-09, 01:48 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
While my wife was living in her condo, she had an issue with her unit. Her air handler was located in an outdoor storage closet. Inside the duct between the outside closet and the inside, there was a fire baffle. It was held open with a small solder joint. That joint had broken and blocked the duct. There was only a miniscule amount of air coming out of the vents in her condo. Maybe that could your problem.

Old 09-05-09, 02:28 PM
I think I've figured it out. The blower on the ac/furnace unit in my attic doesn't appear to be working. And, the intake vent which leads to the blower has a burnt smell to it. Should these go out in only 6 years? Could it be under warranty? What cost am I looking at to get it replaced?

Old 09-05-09, 03:17 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
There's no way to diagnose this without you (or somebody who's experienced) opening up the air handler cabinet and inspecting. Could be the motor itself, capacitor, belt, contactor, tripped ckt breaker, or a raft of other things.

I wouldn't expect that an air handler would be under warranty for six years. But, the only way to be sure, is to contact the manufacturer or the installer. But until you know for sure what's wrong, it may be premature to worry about the warranty. However, if it is under warranty, expect that only parts would be covered, not labor (the more expensive portion of most repairs).

You asked if "these" should go out in six years. I guess it sort of depends upon what the "these" turn out to be. But I'll stick my neck out, and say that an air handler "should" be trouble-free for six years (likewise, an automobile, TV, etc.). But "can" an a/c unit crap out in six years? Yes, they can and do.

This shouldn't be a huge expense, at least not as expensive as the compressor conking out.
Doug

Old 09-09-09, 05:23 PM
P
hey 99,
did you get your problem fixed or are you still checking?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: