Central A/C Compressor not working.

Old 09-06-09, 08:46 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Central A/C Compressor not working.

Unit is 9 years old and never failed to operate. Air handler works fine. Air compressor (outside unit) fails to turn on. I have checked the breakers and none are tripped. I would like to troubleshoot before bringing a tech out. I'm hoping someone can lead some advice as to what may be wrong and what to check for. Thank you.

Old 09-06-09, 10:56 AM
G
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
Does the fan in the compressor unit run? If not, I would suspect the contactor or the 24-V control ckt.

If you have a voltmeter and know how to use it safely, you can see if you're getting voltage where in needs to be - for both the 240V and the 24-V thermostat ckt.
Doug

Old 09-06-09, 12:39 PM
T
Thank you for the reply. The fan on the compressor does not run. I would like to add that the unit was working fine all day. When I woke in the morning I realized the compressor was not on.
You mention the contactor or the 24-V control ckt. I do have a voltmeter but I'm unsure what you are referring to when asking about these parts. Any further information my help me locate and test.

Old 09-06-09, 03:51 PM
G
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
I'm just not confident in my ability to safely guide you through identifying components and measuring the voltages at places inside your compressor unit. I would recommend calling a serviceman. Since neither the compressor nor the condensor fan is running, I suspect the repair may be relatively simple (but not so troubleshooting).
Doug

Old 09-07-09, 10:55 AM
T
Well I'll be very pleased if the repair is simple! Thanks again for taking the time to post a reply.

Old 10-03-09, 10:15 AM
T
Problem Fixed!

My problem was the Contactor as gilmorrie suggested. Thank you. Apparently the contacts were just worn out. They were not stuck, as is sometimes the case. After diagnosing the problem the toughest part was getting the part. None of the local shops was willing to sell me the part because I did not have a contractor license. I did find the part online at several places and purchased it at Shorty's. Delivery was quick and part was genuine Carrier so no problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: