How to know if my compressor is Bad!! Please Read

Old 09-08-09, 05:51 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to know if my compressor is Bad!! Please Read

Hi,

This is my first post so first of all I would like to say hello to everyone.

I will try and make this as simple as I can. I have a 4 ton Coleman outisde condensing unit with A coils on the inside of the house. My unit has been working perfectly fine, until today.

Today I was outside cutting down a fairly large dead tree. I was cleaning up the limbs and I just happen to hear a "harsh" noise when my outside unit went to cut on. Whatever happened it will not allow my compressor in my condensing unit to cut on. The compressor almost tries to start, but it just won't. The fan works and inside of the home all of the components work.

I few years back I had some electrical problems with the air conditioning system on the inside. I had a repair man come out and he installed a "Hard Strater kit on the outside condensor unit for the compressor to kick on. And it worked fine unil today.

This is my question. I don't know if my compressor has stop working (there was no oil leaking that I could see)? Or is the "Hard Starter Kit" that was put on a few years ago went bad and is just not cutting the compressor on?
A new "Hard Starter Kit" is about $50.00, but I don't know if that is the problem. I could have someone come out and look at it and tell me if it is the compressor gone out or just needs a new starter kit, but money is pretty tight right now. I was wondering if there is any way I can tell if my compressor is still good or not?

If it is good I could swing the starter kit. But if it is bad I will have to settle for these little window units I had in my shop. I bought them in case a Hurricane (I live close the Gulf Coast) was to knock the power out for a extended perios of time. I could run them off of my generator. Learned that lesson after three weeks with no power after Katrina payed us a visit.

Sorry for such a long post. I just need some advice.

Thanks,

BRC

Old 09-09-09, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The only way to check is to take Ohm readings between the compressor terminals.

Take readings between C and R, C and S, S and R

The readings between commen and run and commen and start
should equal the value between start and run

Old 09-09-09, 02:30 PM
Sounds like a bad run capacitor and it is trying to run on the start kit. Replace the run capacitor and it may work.

Old 09-09-09, 02:35 PM
B
Smile Got the cold air to blowing again

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I had a tech come out today and come to find out it was just the starter. I hope it stays fixed.

Thanks to everyone who took the time and effort to read and answer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: