blower and A/C won't shut off

Old 09-09-09, 07:16 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
blower and A/C won't shut off

I have A tempstar gas furnace and A/c unit. My problen is that neither the outside A/C unit nor the blower (on top of furnace) will shut-off. I replaced the thermostat and still have the same problem. If I turn the heater on, the heat works fine but the A/C stays on. When I took off the furnace front cover the A/C and blower shut-off ( the safety switch works fine). I am assuming that this is possibly a problem in the control board in front of the blower. How can I test the control board or check for another problem?

Old 09-09-09, 02:42 PM
You probably have some bare thermostat wires touching each other somewhere.

Old 09-09-09, 04:52 PM
P
hi jake,
if i understand you correctly, then the outdoor unit is running when the thermostat is not calling for cooling. that said, kill the power to the thermostat and the outdoor unit. then locate and remove the access panel of the outdoor unit. the incoming high voltage wires go to the contactor. if the contactor is stuck closed due to bugs or burnt contacts, then that just may be your problem.

Old 09-10-09, 12:36 PM
J
I have trace the wiring from thermostat as much as possible and haven't found any exposed wires touching. I also shut the power off to the outdoor A/C unit, but the the blower fan ontop of the furnce still runs and won't shut off.

Old 09-10-09, 02:49 PM
Disconnect the thermostat wires from the furnace and see if it shuts off. If it does you may want to replace the thermostat wires. May be a nail or staple in the wire somewhere.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: