New AC Unit Not Cooling Properly

Old 09-11-09, 09:48 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New AC Unit Not Cooling Properly

Hello,

I have a 980 square feet rental home. I had a 15 year old 2 ton ac unit, which kept the house very cold in the summer. I decided to have unit replaced, since in 20010 all ac units must use the new puron. An AC repairman installed a new 2 Ton AC unit, new A coil, and new copper lines between the units. The air temperature at vent 3 feet from A coil is only 60 degrees. The repair guy replaced the A coil and still the vent reading is 60 degrees. I think the AC condenser unit needs to be replaced. I live in Southern Indiana. Anyone have any ideas why this new unit is a piece of crap compared to the 15 year old unit. Thanks

Old 09-12-09, 01:44 PM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
What is the return air temperature/room temperature ?

Old 09-12-09, 02:02 PM
T
Units do NOT have to replaced ever because of the new refrigerant that has come out. Where ever you got that from is either a mistake or a lie. The old style R22 will be around for many years. You can't by any new units with it starting next year, but there is still plenty of R22 available for servicing existing units.

As far as why your new unit isn't working right, its hard to tell without alot more info.

Old 09-12-09, 04:47 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
A few thoughts here:

Did the installer tell you that R-22 couldn't be used after 2010? If so, I'm afraid you've been "had."

If your previous 2-ton a/c unit kept the house very cold, then it was obviously oversized. The replacement unit's size should have been reduced. For a 980 sq ft rental house, even a window unit might have been adequate.

I wonder what your installer did with your refrigerant that was in your system? Let me guess: he will use it to recharge some other customer's system, and charge them full price for the freon.

Testing has shown that, everything else being equal, that Puron units will be somewhat less efficient than R-22 units.

If, as you say, your replacement a/c unit isn't performing properly, you need to make a warranty claim against the seller - rather than to speculate about what might be wrong.
Doug

Old 09-12-09, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by gilmorrie
If your previous 2-ton a/c unit kept the house very cold, then it was obviously oversized. The replacement unit's size should have been reduced. For a 980 sq ft rental house, even a window unit might have been adequate.
I agree with this, That's WAY oversized for that size of a home. a 1-ton unit up to 1 1/2 ton unit would of be right. (Depends on what the Manual-J reports says)

Old 09-12-09, 08:09 PM
T
Originally Posted by Jay11J
I agree with this, That's WAY oversized for that size of a home. a 1-ton unit up to 1 1/2 ton unit would of be right. (Depends on what the Manual-J reports says)

Maybe its oversized but thats not the reason its not cooling. If its oversized the house will cool but may not remove the humidity properly.

Either the installer should get to the bottom of it or the OP will need someone else to.

Old 09-12-09, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by theapprentice
Maybe its oversized but thats not the reason its not cooling. If its oversized the house will cool but may not remove the humidity properly.

Either the installer should get to the bottom of it or the OP will need someone else to.
I agree, something is wrong, but once that is fixed, then they are not going to be comfortable, and higher electric bill than they should be seeing.

Old 09-13-09, 11:39 AM
J
Unfortunately we don't have enough information to give a definite answer. We can only speculate.

Also, we would need to know more about how the equipment was installed. For example: was a nitrogen purge done? was a proper vacuum pulled? were new filter driers installed? was the system charged properly? The list goes on.

On the other hand, you may just have an expansion valve that is out of adjustment. But, who knows?

In the end, it may just be better to have another technician take a look at it.

Old 09-13-09, 09:20 PM
P
Thanks for all the ideas. I will post what actually fixes this problem. I have not paid any money for labor, AC unit and related parts. I will not pay until New AC unit works properly.
Thanks again for all the help.

Old 09-13-09, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by pinfun1
Thanks for all the ideas. I will post what actually fixes this problem. I have not paid any money for labor, AC unit and related parts. I will not pay until New AC unit works properly.
Thanks again for all the help.
Also ask the dealer for a Manual-J report (Load Calc) on your home.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: