Help! Replaced thermostat- outside unit not running.

Old 09-12-09, 09:25 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help! Replaced thermostat- outside unit not running.

Hi!
I went to turn my ac down yesterday- it wasn't cooling efficiently- but when I pressed the button to bring down the temp to make the unit kick on, the whole thing went blank. It clicked a few times but didn't come back on. I tried replacing batteries, resetting, and checked wire connections but same thing. Replaced the thermostat tonite. It was a braeburn- the new one is a Hunter. After rewiring, the thermostat & air handler are working but it's not cooling- the outside unit is not running at all. I checked unit for a reset button but it's dark & raining and couldn't find anything. There was a siemens box on the wall of the house with the fuses in it. I did check the breakers- I had turned both the ac & air handler breakers off when I rewired but I did turn them back off and on again. My ac unit is a 12 seer tempstar. Any thoughts? It was running yesterday when my thermostat went wonky but it was not cooling efficiently. There was condensation on the black insulation on the pvc pipe coming out of the air handler yesterday as well as some water in the big intake duct (?) where my filter goes. There was some dirt-like pieces coming out of the drainpipe at the outside unit as well so I flushed the air handler line with bleach and kept my whole unit off for almost 24 hours in case it was starting to freeze up- the unit was a bit cool but not icy. Any thoughts? I feel like I'm a simple thing away from fixing it! Argh! Of course, 3 out of 5 kids are sick and my house is now 88 degrees! We are camped out in the living room with a half a dozen fans. Please help if you can!

Old 09-13-09, 10:35 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Talking Fixed!!!!

I knew it was something I missed!
After a long, hot night, I took a look at the new thermostat packaging again and realized it said "not compatible with multi-stage systems" and mine was a multi-stage system. The guy who helped me at Lowe's just asked if it had a heat pump or not. I had brought in my old thermostat which clearly said 7 day multi stage 2 heat/2 air. But I didn't catch it either Argh! So I returned it and got a Honeywell non programmable multi stage and my house is cooling off as I type. Yay! I'm so proud of myself for not only doing this myself but figuring it out too!
Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: