AC Install Question - How to fix this...?

Old 09-14-09, 04:53 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC Install Question - How to fix this...?

Here's my situation; I had an AC Unit installed and my old furnace/removed and replaced. The 'laundry room' that holds the furnace is partially unfinished. Some of the drywall was ripped down by the previous owner.

Here is how they ran the lines from the AC Unit to the furnace.

(To clarify - the ripped up drywall and the poorly hung light were all pre-existing. The AC installers didn't tear it up)

My problem is that I had intended to install drywall and make the room look as finished as possible. Is there any functional reason why they couldn't have run the line straight up and into the space between the joists - instead of stringing it along like they did?

If I understand correctly, one of those lines is pressurized/filled with coolant - right? Is there anything I can do to clean up the lines they ran?

Finally, is this pretty typical or would you consider this a crappy job. My gut-reaction is they did a really, really sub-par job...but I'd really appreciate any other opinions on it. I have bathroom located behind this room (bad layout, but not my design) so to use the bathroom, you have to walk through this laundry room. I paid extra to have a pump installed rather than have a pipe going to the center of the room on the floor (and being a trip hazard). $5,500 dollars is what I paid them.

Old 09-14-09, 05:54 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yes should have been in the price as to were the line set was run.

Old 09-14-09, 07:23 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by airman.1994
Yes should have been in the price as to were the line set was run.
We did say that it would go up to the ceiling and run along the ceiling joists to the exterior of the house - but we didn't go in more detail than that. I just can't fathom anyone wanting it run the way they ran it.

Naturally, I wasn't around when they were doing it.

Do you think it would be possible for me to re-route it myself?

Old 09-15-09, 07:42 AM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Apparently the AC installer did not know your intention. He simply treated that room as a non-used work area. Now you can not re-route the pipes yourself. But you can call him back to re-route those pipes. After the new pipes put in, the system must be re-charged again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: